We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

Lille
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

Although we like to cross Bhutan from west to east, you can't see it all in 10 to 12 days. What are the places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip. (festivals, villages, valleys, Dzongs,...). We will travel in November this year.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Thimphu
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

You would see commonly fortress, temple, festival, monasteries and villages in Bhutan, besides that i would suggest to experience the farm house stay and hot stone bath during your stay. your proposal from west to east Bhutan sounds great but i would not recommend within 12 days, at least you need more then 2 weeks to cross visit from west to east Bhutan because of windy rood.

Happiness!

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

It depends on your personal interests, which places are a must for you.

If you consider driving the whole lateral road, take into account that the driving speed is some 30 km/hr, not including stops. This can make your days long and spinning, as the road is curvy all over.12 Days are not enough to enjoy the whole width of Bhutan. I think it is better to see a smaller part, but at a slower pace, which will be more in the spirit of Bhutan.

If you'll let us know about your interests, we all can help you plan an itinary.

beijing
Level Contributor
9 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

Apart from stopping for the amazing scenery (October-November is the best time) and to walk through a rhododendron forest, or stand under the firs on Pele La, the obvious sites are the dzongs (especially Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Tongsa, Bjakhar and Tashigang, are the obvious first choices). The principle temples in Bumthang are not to be missed.

4. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 13:11
London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

one place that must not skipped is the Tigers nest monastery !!!! it truly is a wonder.... its a hard trek and for some like me not really on the peak of his/ her fitness but my god the view and the monastery are simply out of this world very much worth the trouble .... what ever u do dont miss that

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
130 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

I think Punakha Dzong is at the top of the list. The sheer size and the setting between the rivers make it the most beautiful dzong I saw. I love the color of the water there too. There are nice hotel options in that area too...a bit better than where you stay in some other places.

I am one of the few (I guess) who did not visit Takstang. I knew I would not be able to do the climb and it would just not have been fun at all for me. But I was in Bhutan for 3 weeks so I saw plenty of other things.

It is a shame there is not enough time in 12 days to get all the way to the East. I much preferred that part of the country over the West. Once they finish building the airports you will be able to go east more easily.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

I'm another one who didn't visit Tiger's Nest Monastery - we admired from the road and seeing it's situation I knew the climb was not for us.

We loved Paro and the Dzong and also the drive up the valley to visit Drukygel Dzong. The drive to Haa fro Paro is also good.

The other place which came top of our list was the Phobjika valley. This is so beautiful.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
842 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

I second EESW's recommendation of the Phobjika valley. If we had known about it beforehand, we would have stayed there a day longer.

9. Re: places you MUST see ,the one's you can skip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 06:16