We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice (yet another)

Washington...
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice (yet another)

Hello All

My fiance and I are planning to do our honeymoon in Bhutan this upcoming October (2012). We've decided to use Bhutan Nyinzer since they seem to get great reviews here, and Tashi has been great and reaching out to us and offering advice. We've got our first itinerary that we're going through and want to make sure we can see as much as possible, but without going too quickly (better to do fewer things longer than more things quickly!)

RIght now, we're going to:

Day 1 - Paro

Day 2 - Thimphu

Day 3 - Punakha

Day 4 - Gangtey

Day 5 - Bumthang

Day 6 - Bumthang (Kurje Lhakhang, Jambey Lhakhang, Tamshing Lhakhang, Mebartsho)

Day 7 - Wangdue

Day 8 - Back to Paro

Day 9 - Paro

Day 10 - Leave

We were also thinking of taking a day or two in Katmandu, but does that seem worth it, or is it better to spend more time in bhutan?

Thanks for the help

Cheers!

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

Congratulations for your upcomong wedding.

I'd advise you to take at least two nights in Phobjikha, so you can really enjoy this beautiful valley. Yes, I think that it might be a better idea to take those two days from KTM and add them to Bhutan. Especially after Bhutan KTM is very noisy, the air very bad and might come as a shock after the serenity of Bhutan. You might be able to witness a festival, October is high season. You can consider a wedding blessing or some ceremony, to make the trip more special. Ask Tashi for suggestions. Good luck.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

I would second Bhutantravellers advice about Katmandu. Spend the extra days in Bhuatan. Add an extra night in Punaka and one in Gangtey for the Phobjikha Valley. This is a beautiful area and we preferred it to Bumthang. Travelling in Bhutan can be hard going as roads are windy and very slow. You may be glad of 2 nights in a place.

Washington...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

Thank you!

We'll skip KTM now and stick with Bhutan

Is it true that the best views from the flight in are from Katmandu? Its tough to get a flight from the US to KTM (India is much easier)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

We got a flight from Delhi, which did actually stop at Katmandu. Sit on the left hand side for views of Everest. You can see the pictures of the flight at the start of this gellery:

wasleys.org.uk/Asia_websites/…index.html

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

You can fly either via Bangkok or Delhi. For Delhi you'll need a visum with two entries,on account of neighbouring tourism. You have to add the flight itinary to the visum application. From Delhi the best views are on the left side of the plane.

For Bangkok you'll get the visum on arrival, as to the views, I hope someone who has taken this route will pop in with an answer.

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

You get the same views from New Delhi but not the big mountain views from Bangkok - although the views are spectactular. My tip would be to definitely fly business class. It is only slightly more expensive in the whole scheme of things and worth the upgrade.

There is a new hotel in Delhi Airport - the Eaton Smart hotel which is in the transit area so that you do not have to exit the airport or get an Indian visa. They are fantastic and can help you with all the paperwork, getting boarding passes etc. Have had fantastic feedback from people who have stayed there. Although the Indian officials can be a bit difficult depending on what passport you hold...

If you have an extra couple of days I would spend them in Bhutan over Kathmandu. This will make your itinerary more relaxed - at the moment you will be spending quite a lot of time in a vehicle! But if you want to get as far as Bumthang this is necessary. Don't try and visit more places have a couple of consecutive nights so that you can chill out - it is a honeymoon afterall!!! I think I might actually even leave Bumthang out of the trip and spend more time exploring the other valleys. It's a long road...

Washington...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

Wow

Thanks for all the great advice.

We're definitely not going to KTM now (although we may replace that with a week in India to visit his family, which I'm sure will negate the calm and peacefulness of Bhutan, but be equally as exciting!)

We're waiting on our revised itinerary and have asked for one night in a monestary and a couple of extra nights in the Phobjikha Valley since we have some more time than 10 days now.

Thanks again everyone. Now, its 7 months of waiting

8. Re: Itinerary Advice (yet another)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:52