We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gangtey or not? Advice please!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gangtey or not? Advice please!

Hi,

How many days do I need for Punakha? Should I spend 2 days or just 1 and include 1 day for Gangtey? Please advise!

Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
689 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gangtey or not? Advice please!

I guess this has to depend on whether you mind the long drive to Gantey/Phobjikha.

In Punakha, there are only 3 places of interest, Punakha Dzong (must visit), Chimi Lhakhang and Khamsum Yuelle Namgyel Chorten. All will take about 1 FULL day to finish. If you have 2 nights in Punakha, you may have 1/2 day more in Punakha. This option will be more relax for you.

If you choose to stay one night in Gantey, you will need to forgo one of the sightseeing in Punakha and endure 5/6 hours drive to Gantey. Personally, I think Gantey is a very beautiful and peaceful glacial valley. It will be nice to visit if you have extra days.

If you only limited nights, stick to Thimphu, Paro and Punakha.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 08:38
Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gangtey or not? Advice please!

How long to you plan your trip for? And what are your interests? If it is possible, stay two nights in Punakha, so you'll have one full day at least. If you can add Gangtey to your trip, that is very much recommended.And even more two nights in this beautiful valley. You have nice walking trails there and the Gangtey Gompa is renovated a few years ago and shows great work of the craftsmen.

If you want, you can post your itinary here, and together with your wishes we can see how to advise you.

Paro, Bhutan
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gangtey or not? Advice please!

Well, it depends on which month you are going to Gantey, in Nov not only for cranes but trail will be dry and sky will be clear, there are lots of place to hike.

In summer, stay in Punakha and visit Talo monastery and villages around, and visit Laptsakha school, it will be nice to chat with teachers and kids. It is nice place to stroll by.

4. Re: Gangtey or not? Advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:18