We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger spotting. North India.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
778 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger spotting. North India.

I believe there are several wild life facilities for tiger spotting in North India but wonder if anyone knows (a) Nearest to the Golden Triangle and (b) Most likely to see tigers.

Thanks.

Bethspoon

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

If you're doing the Golden Triangle then you probably want to visit Ranthambhore N.P. It's in Rajastan near Sawai Madhopur. I've just got back from there and had 6 tiger sightings on the 5 trips I had round the park. Be warned though that we did meet people who had been 7 or more times and not seen any. It is reported that there are 15 tigers and possibly even 10 cubs have grown up and stayed in the area. It isn't open during our summer months as that is monsoon/wet season, and anyway the sightings are probably a little easier with less plant cover. There are plenty of hotels in the area too.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

See my post on this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297646-i8835-k180…

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

i also know abt ranthambor

if there are other places i also would like to know

abt them

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

Beth -

The tiger sanctuaries nearest to the Golden Triangle are Sariska and Ranthambore.

Sariska lost all its tigers and was a big scandal in 2005. This year, they're planning to relocate three tigers from Ranthambore into Sariska (two tigresses and one tiger). Before they do that, they have to relocate two villages which are in the core protected forest area (such villages are often the best source of poachers, by the way). I'm waiting to see how that goes.

Ranthambore has 32 tigers as per the most recent census but no one knows whether to trust official numbers. In any case, 32 is 6 more than the 2005 census of 26 tigers. When I was there in Ranthambore, I saw a tigress with two cubs, they were a delight. So that's at least 2 new tigers in Ranthambore :)

Ranthambore is easy to get to, and has lots of hotels at different sorts of budgets. It is also where Bill Clinton went on his India visit.

Here's a photo from my Delhi blog, of Ranthambore in summer, with a group of women and children walking:

…blogspot.com/2007/…speaking-of-costumes.html

- Deepa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

I visited Ranthambore twice, once in October (after the rains) and once in April (summer).

In October, we had no tiger sighting, although the forest was very enjoyable. Rajasthan had a good monsoon that year, there was water everywhere in the forest. But that also meant thick undergrowth, and lots of places for animals to hide. Other families at our hotels saw tigers and came back thrilled, but we weren't lucky. So I went back in April.

Our April sightings were brilliant, because Ranthambore is a dry deciduous forest and the undergrowth had shed its foliage. I saw 4 tigers on 3 drives, and on one of them, it was less than 10 feet away. I saw the mother tigress teaching her cubs how to hunt (it was a 45-minute hunt scene that played out right before our eyes, our boisterous kids didn't speak a WORD for 45 minutes, except to fight for the binoculars).

Kanha and Bandhavgarh, the other two popular tiger sanctuaries, are not on the Golden Triangle and they are hard to get to. But they have very good tiger sighting chances. gjo's account of kanha and b-garh (link in his earlier post above mind) are excellent.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

In short go to Ranthambor

the nearest from golden triangle, but if u really like to see tiger go to bandhvgarh tiger reserve, do it before 15th june,after that national park will remain close till november, then only option would be the Zoo...........

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
390 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

My friends daughter returned from Ranthambore last week. They spotted tigers on all the 3 days they were there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

I agreed with the above that Ranthambhore is by far the easiest to reach from the golden triangle, and should the place for you to try to see tigers on this trip. Ranthambhore is a beautiful park with rather different scenery in each zone and is worth seeing even without the tigers.

We were in Ranthambhore 2 weeks ago and took 5 game drives in a gypsy over 3 days. However I must point out that from experience that tiger sightings are definitely not guaranteed, especially every day. If you can afford 2-3 days here then you should have a good chance of tiger. We were perhaps unlucky, with only 20% success, but that’s good enough for me, and who wants a zoo!! Some people did leave disappointed, others saw a tiger on their one and only drive. It’s a certain matter of luck, but just prepare for disappointment and it will make the sighting more special.

As Deepa mentions above, April is a good time to see tigers and certainly during the dry season, Zones 2 & 3 seem to have a bias for tiger sightings. Mainly since in these zones the resident tigers must come to the lake for a drink and are usually spotted by the languors or samber deer. Our guide said that Zone 3 had a 90% success at this time of year; however the zones are distributed in a lottery system upon park entry. But if you are lucky enough, the sightings can be amazing!!

Check out the blogspot on http://ranthambhorebagh.com/ it has rather good information to whet you appetite.

Regards, Rich

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
778 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

Thank you all very much for your informative replies. Am trying to build Ranthambore into our itinerary and will post accordingly.

Thanks again.

Bethspoon

10. Re: Tiger spotting. North India.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 09:16