We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

Hello

Did lots of websearch to make the most of my travel in Rajasthan. Will be spending 4 weeks in India, wich would be minimum 21 days Rajasthan, then Mumbai, finished in Goa. So here are my ideas.

1)

Fly in Delhi

car/driver for

Mandawa

Bikaner

Jaisalmer

Udaipur/Rankpur

Udaipur/Mt Abu/Dilwara Temples

Bundi

Pushkar

Jaipur

Agra/Orchha

Khajraho

Varanassi

Fly to Mumba/2days

Fly to Goa.

2)

Fly in Delhi

Delhi

Fly to Udaipur, idem sites as 1

up to Jaisalmer

Bikaner

Pushkar

Jaipur

(no Bundi)????

Agra and surrounding

Varanasi/surrounding

fly Mumbai

fly Goa

3) Fly in Delhi

Agra

Reverse tour to Delhi as per tour 1

fly to Varanasi

Fly to Mumbai

Fly to Goa.

Any inputs, much appreciated.

Merci

Sylvain

Reality Tours and Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Agra Day Tour Packages
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Discover India by Car
Day Trips, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Grand Mumbai Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

So far I have no inputs, All comments is much appreciated.

Merci

Sylvain

Zurich
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

Hi

I like your first option. Bundi doesnt have much to see so Jaisalmer to Udaipur via Ranakpur and moun Abu would be a good option. So Delhi to Mandawa, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Ranakpur or Moun Abu, Udaipur, Pushkar, Jaipur, Agra, Orchha, Khajuraho and Varanasi and fly to Mumbai. In thrid option you are not seeing much becasue you have time. In second option you are driving long distances. Also if you like you can take over night train from Mumbai to Goa.

Good luck

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

I agree with Nicole about the overnight train from Mumbai to Goa, and, in fact, I'd go a step further and exhort you to use overnight trains a few more times and cut down on the air travel. On our fiorst trip to India we did both: we had a 15-day Jet Airways pass, and we spent another 3 weeks travelling by train (mainly overnight). We remember the train trips very affectionately, but -- while I can't fault Jet Airways -- of the plane trips only one stands out as being a terrific solution, and that was the one from delhi to leh, which flies over the Himalayas. Apart from that, our main memory of the plane trips is the airport formalities... they are pretty frustrating in India, with two or three very thorough bag checks per flight (we even had to open our unused film boxes and show that there was nothing inside but a roll of film). This plus the usual waiting, and the sometimes-long trips from the city to the airport (Mumbai, for instance, is around an hour)..... putting it all together, there's not a great time saving, in many instances.

I really like Bundi and would recommend that you don't leave that out of your itinerary. It's easily-connected to Udaipur by overnight bus, too, which is quite a relief, because Udaipur can be a bit fiddly to get to.

If you're going from Agra to Varanasi, there's no need to return to Delhi and fly; there are several trains plying that route, and. if you can't find one at exactly the time you'd like, substitute "Mughal Sarai" for Varanasi (it's a railhead less than 20 km from Varanasi) and search again. If you still aren't happy, substitute "Tundla" for "AGra" (they're just an autorickshaw ride apart) and try yet again.

Did you also know there is a fairly-new train going from Delhi to Khajuraho? This wasn't available when I was there, so I don't pretend to know all the details, but it has been described quite thoroughly on both this forum and on indiamike. This might mean that you have only to do the Varanasi-Khajuraho leg once, whcih would be a bit of a relief, as the bus journey is a bit arduous (because of the state of the road) and flying seems a bit of a waste, as you spend all that time getting to the airport and going through the formalities for something like a forty-five minute flight.

I can't really comment much on a comparison of the three itineraries, as they are all basically the same destinations, and they are all great places to see... so I guess the only real difference is how cunningly you can make them "fit" in order to maximise sightseeing time and minimise travelling time (andd I usually work this out by using train timetables). I would, however, suggest that if you are going all the way down to Goa, that you try to increase your stay in that area by three or four days and take a side trip to Hampi, which is wonderful, and will be a nice complement to Khajuraho.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

Alain J

When you visited India, you flew and used Train ?

did not use car/driver company ?

For first time like me, you think best car/driver or fly/train, I'll be traveling alone as well.

So far I may use the following itineray, to minimise car driving

Delhi 2 days

Flight to Udaipur (1)

Udaipur and surrounding 2 days

car to Jodphu, via Rankpur (1)

car to Jaisalmer (1)

Jaisalmer 1 day

car Jaisalmer-Bikaner (1)

car Bikaner-Mandawa (1)

car Mandawa-Pushkar (1)

Pushkar (1 day)

car Pushkar-Bundi (1)

car Jaipur (1)

Jaipur (1)

car to Agra (1) via Orchha

overnight train to Varanssi (1)

Varanassi (2)

Fly to Mumbai (2)

Fly to Goa (4-5 days) celebrate New Year eve 2009/2010

Out from Mumbai to home

Is Bikaner and/or Mandawa worth stopping/seeing, if yes I could add more days.

Merci

Sylvain

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

I've been to neither Bikaner nor Mandawa, so I can only guess at an answer to your last quwestion. But I would say, yes, they are probably well-worth a visit. This is a most fascinating part of the world. However, I worry a little about "Jaisalmer: one night". It's worth a couple, so that you can take one of the camel safaris and sleep out in the desert. Of course, you can take these safaris from Bikaner, also, but I can't comment on those; all I can say is that the camel safari organised by Shahi Palace Hotel for us in Jaisalmer was the absolute highlight of our trip to India, even allowing for the fact that I am no friend of camels! We did it twice --on two separate visits -- and because we, like you, were pushing the schedule a bit, we stayed out in the desert only till about 9:30 p.m., and then retured to Shahi Palace for the night, and this is quite a good way to do it; however, the people on this forum (and on Indiamike) who have done the overnight safari say that this is a wonderful experience.

I've never travelled alone in India, so my reluctance to hire a car and driver, instead opting for public transport (which we loved), may be explained, at least partly, by the fact that I've always had at least one companion. In your case, the car and driver might, indeed, be a feasible solution. If you want the name of a man in Delhi who can fix you up with a driver for as long as you want (around Rajasthan, anyway... I don't know about as far as Varanasi!) and charge you a fair price (and, believe me, I've seen some UNfair rates quoted on this forum, one only a few days ago!) then send me a private message and I'll give you his name and contact number. I'd give it right here, but I have promoted this guy so often on this forum and on Indiamike that the suggestion was made, a few weeks ago, that he and I obviously had some kind of business arrangement going (as if I was his 'tout'), which is not true (the same thing was said -- rather bitterly, so possibly by a competitor -- about my repeated recommendations of Shahi Palace at Jaisalmer, and it's not true there, either). The Delhi agent will be delighted when he finds out you're from Canada; when I was with him, last year, he told me that, for the sake of the future of his young son, he planned to emigrate from India, and the country he most favoured was Canada (when I suggested that an Indian might well die of cold way up there, and intimated that he might find Australia worth considering, he suddenly looked worried, as if he might have hurt my feelings, and, after a slight hesitation, quickly blurted out, "Australia is number two!") So he'll probably have lots of questions for you, and ask for pictures of your home town to show his wife and son.

Oh, what the hell, who cares what people say: his name is Sanjay Saigal and his email address is indiaexpeditions@hotmail.com. He won't do the driving himself, but he'll make sure that the person who does do the driving will think you're the king of Canada, and treat you accordingly.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

Alan

You have use his services ?

guess you were satisfied with his job ?

Merci

Sylvain

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

Oui!

Sanjay is something you'll appreciate when you get to India... a decent, honourable man. Now, there are lots of those in India; in fact, I think the Indian people are probably the luckiest people in the world, as their spiritual lives obviously WORK, which is more than you can say for most of the western countries. But I say you'll appreciate Sanjay -- and his strong belief in karma and treating people as if they mattered -- because, as a tourist, naturally you'll encounter plenty of the "other" kind... the people who set out to cheat you, hoodwink you, and generally use whatever strategy it takes to separate you from as much of your money as they can trick you into giving them. They lie in wait for you to get off the plane or step out the door of your hotel, and it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that all Indians are like that. Well, they're not... and Sanjay is a rather pleasant reminder that they're not. Use him and you will be enriched.

Reading back over what I have just written, I would hasten to add that I am not so ungrateful as to "rubbish" the hosts of what I believe is the most wonderful country on Earth, and I'd be mortified if people like npjai or Deepa Krishnan or Brave1 or cuberhippie thought I was characterising Indians as predators of tourists, or lacking in ethics. Many of the touts -- to which I was referring -- are desperate, with families to feed and little income coming their way unless they can get you to provide it. It's understandable that they come across as aggressive sometimes (frankly, a lot of the time), and that they will use any ploy to get your business (such as forgetting the price they agreed to at the beginning of a transaction by the time they get to the end.... or remembering it in dollars when you offered it in rupees). People like that exist in every tourist destination in the world. It's just that there are a LOT of Indians, so it follows that there are a lot of touts. But they're no different to those of any other country. So, please, fellas, don't yell at me, I really do love India!

8. Re: Theorical itineraries for Rajasthan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 05:49