We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY tiger safari or not?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
DIY tiger safari or not?

Not sure what happened to my first post, will try again.

I am seriously considering a special holiday, hopefully watching tigers in India.

The prices on package holidays in many brochures is eye watering.

Is it sensible to consider doing the planning for one's self?

How do you find a good local operation, safe drivers ect?

Can anyone suggest a good blog that highlights how it was done or how it should be done?

On the actual reserves, does it become a race track with many tourist jeeps rushing around looking for tigers, or are there limits on numbers?

I have loads more questions................

Many thanks

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

Contrary to popular belief, it's quite easy to organise a tiger safari on your own.

You can think of visiting:

1. Jim Corbett National Park, Near Nainital, Uttarakhand

2. Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan

3. Bandhavgarh - Madhya Pradesh

4. Kanha - Madhya Pradesh

At all places you can book your own tiger safari. The no. of vehicles and Safaris are limited and it's not a race track.

If you have any more questions, we are happy to help.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

As far as tiger sighting is concerned, I would suggest Ranthambhore or Bandhavgarh.

For Ranthambhore, you may contact any of the RATO members, they will conduct the trip. You can book the safari through www.rajasthanwildlife.in

For Bandhavgarh, I would suggest to take help from M.P. Tourism for transport and accommodation, they have nice lodge inside the park on the bank of the river. They arrange for the safari (in jeep/elephant) also.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 08:22
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

We had a days tour of corbet national park , didn't see a soul tigers ether , because they are nocturnal animals ,you may be lucky very early morning or dusk with far view , plenty of monkeys , deer, birds, more deer, the guides kept stopping here and there showing us tiger prints on the dirt track roads, but could have been man made with a bit of wood, because they all looked the same, we stopped at another place and looked down into a ravine they said their is an alligator " when i looked though my binoculars , he was right "dead on its back . to be honest we thought the whole tour was stage played and a complete waste of time and money, you would be more likely to see robin hood in sherwood forrest , than see tigers in corbet . If you want to see a good tiger and gorilla collection in fabulous surroundings try aspinalls private zoo in kent.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

Many thanks for the replies...will digest and come back with some more questions.

Norman.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

Just been given a brochure from a quality UK operator and I was surprised to see that for a 10 day trip they are charging £1299. I think this is fairly reasonable.

They start in Delhi to Agra to Jaipur....only problem is the same as any tour package, you have to keep to a strict time schedule. I'm not too keen on organised groups, I like to take my time and soak up my surroundings.

They do include a one day trip to Ramthanbore, but that minimise's the chances of seeing the sole reason for the trip.

I think I will work out an itinerary for myself and try to find a local firm to provide a driver/guide. I hope to trawl this site and find some recommendations!

Kind regards.....Norman.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

Norman,

If you don't want to get caught in teh tight schedule of package tour, it's good to make and follow your own itinerary and get a local travel agency to organise Car + Dricer + Guide for you.

www.namsteindiatours.com is one such agency. Another good one is Travel Bureau, Agra.

Of course there rae many others and you should send your tour request to many of them for getting a comparative view.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

Many thanks.

Norman.

LEEDS, UNITED...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

hi there just trying to sort tiger safari out myself now - was going orig with naturetrek but out of my price range unfortunately - sorted planes out & going ranthambore cos found tiger moon resort, looks good & relatively cheap on trip advisor - may have to book thru indian company though - scary bit - but the big companies are way too dear for me - trawling this site also! was gonna do kanha but again expensive and very far away - long train journey - trying to do 7 days for abt £80 per room per night- still trying!!

9. Re: DIY tiger safari or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:18