We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

India budget?

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
India budget?

My husband and I are spending 6 wks in india from 6/2/11 and we are unsure what we will get for our budget. We will be booking most of our travel and some accommodation before we go out using our weekly salary.

For the rest of our trip we will be using our savings approximately £2000-2500, for food, unexpected travel or accommodation, trips and experiences etc. Is there any costs I may be overlooking? And for the intended budget what sort of trip should we be looking at booking, for example level of comfort of accommodation and travel, amount of trips etc.

I do not want us to run out of money halfway through booking! Ideally we would like to spend as little as possible, but still stay and travel in relitive comfort and get the most out of our experience?

Please help kind people of TA x

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: India budget?

Cyberhippie may be able to help more here, but I calculate that with £2500 over 42 days you will have about £60 per day, which is about 4,300Rs. For this you will certainly be able to stay in mid range accomodation, with enough left for travel and food.

Get a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to give you a view of the range of accomodation available, but out side of the major cities 2,500 Rs will get you a comfortable airconditioned room, no problem. You will have to downgrade a bit in places like Delhi and Mumbai, where prices are much higher, but it is still possible to find perfectly acceptable places in that sort of budge range.

Food can cost anything from 300 Rs a day up to 4.000 (if you eat in luxury hotels). In Lonely Planet you will find lots of eateries where you can get all you can eat Thalis for 100-150Rs. But you can eat in very nice restaurants for 400Rs a head. Beer, when you can find it, is anywhere from 80 to 250 Rs for a very big bottle. In midrange hotels and restaurants it tends to hover around 100-120Rs.

Travel when you are in towns is very cheap if you use autorickshaws, but you will need to bargain hard. 100Rs gets you a long way in an auto.If you are doing alot of sightseeing in one place do a deal to hire the auto for the day.

If you travel between towns by train, again it is very cheap by English standards. A 7 hour journey in 2AC this year cost us 600Rs each. Bear in mind if you travel overnight you save the night in a hotel. A decent meal on a train is about 50Rs.

If you are at all out of season, you can have a few nights of luxury very cheaply. We stayed in a beautiful palace in Bikaner for 3000 Rs for a room last year.

My budget is slightly higher than yours, but I think the above figures a reasonably accurate. Others should be able to add more detail, or correct my errors.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: India budget?

Save more money travel with trains and buses.

Some budget hotels have nice room for 1000rs or for less.

If you are going to visit big city’s like Mumbai and Delhi then make plan to stay as short as possible.

If you have plan to Rajasthan then please visit beginning of your trip, and as after 15th march its just beginning of summer... the desert festival is in jaisalmer from 16 to 18 feb.11 ,If you wish to see that then plan according .

Edited: 11 November 2010, 11:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: India budget?

Thanks guys, some useful advice.

We are planning to go to Jaisalmer first so that will be around the 9th Feb.

We have been advised by some to book everything before we go, what are your thoughts?

4. Re: India budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 06:21