We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

India

Vilnius
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Topic
India

We are going to India in March. At first we are planning to visit Agra (Taj Mahal) and Jaipur, and afterwards (from Jaipur) to fly to Kerala. Maybe someone could advise us the best way to get from Delhi to Agra and from Agra to Jaipur. We are thinking to rent a car with a driver and A/C. I know that traffic is chaotic in India, but maybe we will be able feel better the spirit of the country and see the real India before landing on the quiet beach of Kerala.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: India

If its your first trip to India I suggest a car and driver. You get to see more of India by travelling through towns and villages. Trains are very comfortable way to travel, but you see everything from a distance and, in the A/C carriages, through a heavily tinted window.

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: India

Our family has been in India for five months, living in Kerala. When we first arrived we were in Delhi for a few days, then took a car and driver and did the classic Delhi, Agra, Jaipur triangle tour. We had a wonderful driver who I can't recommend enough. He was very personable, spoke english well and had very fair rates. As we have since learned, having a dependable driver makes all the difference! His name is Kuldeep Sharma and he has a website at www.sharmadriving.com The best way to reach him is by phone at 91-999-966-2820 . We have recommended him to friends and everyone raves about him!

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: India

we are going to Delhi Feb. 13 and will be there until the 18th. we have been thinking about day trips to Agra and maybe Jaipur. Can you give me some idea of the cost of the day trip you took to Agra with your recommended driver?

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: India

HI there I am from India and travelling by train is indeed beautiful but there may be some problems like searching for the platform and language may be a problem because most of the porters do not speak englsh if you wish to travel by train you can go to www.irctc.co.in or go to www.rediff.com and click on travel the other option is by air you wont be having much problems as most of them speak english at the airport , and when you are travelling to kerala my advice is please travel by air either because train journey will be very tiring and english will not be a problem there as many people will speak english there

5. Re: India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 19:21
6. Re: India

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

7. Re: India

New Delhi, India
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: India

I can recommend "The Earth Safari" for your complete tour bookings. They are a competent tour company based out of Delhi.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: India

I want to go to India for 2 weeks to experience the vibrant colours, smells & tastes. I am a 64-year-old married Canadian female. (Although I'd prefer to avoid solo supplements, and prefer not to be a female meandering alone anywhere, that may not be possible.) A travel agency I've been corresponding with came up with a private tour of the "triangle" in N. India, including car and driver, for $4200 plus airfare. It sounds a bit lonely. I'm wondering (a) whether S. or N. India would be more interesting; and (b) whether I should book a tour through an agency here, or whether it would be less expensive and a better experience to book a car and driver from a major Indian city (and book my own hotels). My preference is to minimize the # of destinations so as to avoid constantly re-packing, and hours of driving between distant cities.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: India

I would go by train to Agra, then hire a driver to go to Jaipur, stopping off at Fatehpur Sikri on the way, we paid 3500 rupees for a car booked through Tourist Resthouse but there are many other options.