We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

Toronto, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

Hi,

I have an unlocked HTC Android phone and was wondering if I could buy a sim card when i arrive in Delhi to use during my trip.

I have heard I need to be a resident of India or atleast have an India address to buy a sim card. Is this true?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of, if I wanted to do this? i have never bought a sim card or air time in a foreign country before.

Where is the best/most reasonable place to buy a sim card and air time if I am permitted to do it? Will I get ripped off at the airport?

Any idea of what they cost and air time would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

Just give a search on the forum for "Indian sim cards", been discussed to death before.

Ahmedabad, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

If you give photo copy of your passport i think you got sim card from any retail, best card according to service wie is vodafone ( and remember to keep one passport size photo as well), have a nice trip.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 13:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

I got Aircel sim card at the airport - Delhi - last month. More paperwork than when you asking for mortgage :o) I was also asked for photograph, but at the end they were happy just to take a pic of me on their phone. Only rip off they tried was to sell me 1000 rupees top up. Luckily there was a guy in front of us buying only 500 top up. We heard that and said we want 500 rupees only as well. We used the phone quite a lot and still have around 300 rupees left on it so I would ask if you can buy even smaller top up. They do want adress in India, but hotel address was fine - had to show them the confirmed reservation though. The stand is on the left hand side when you leave the main arrival hall. Good luck.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

I think officially you need two photos and an Indian address, but the attitude of different retailers varies. We have twice got SIMs without problems, but on both occasions our driver took us to the shop, so he probably had a deal going on and who knows what address they put down.

However, my son tried to get a SIM in Tamil Nadu earlier this year and the shopkeeper wouldn't give him one, even though he had two photos.

So you may be lucky first time or you might need to try a few.

Agra, bhubaneswar...
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

almost everything is said.

But just to tell you ... as per the new sim card charges .. they vary from Rupees 50 to rupees 200 depending on the service provider

. If you find any problem of getting a new connection .. then its still ok to pay Rupees 500 for a sim card.. . to a retail shop. but certainly not more than that.

Also almost all mobile phone operators have special add on voucher for special uses which will reduce your one particular type of call(Overseas) / sms/ other services. look for that with the help line number not with the retailer.

C' YA

Edited: 07 December 2010, 22:53
6. Re: unlocked google phone- buying sim cards in India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:18