We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
16 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

Given the tightening on security etc- what is entailed in buying a sim card suitable for all the above locations ?

Also where/how can i buy one closest to the Imperial hotel? or can one buy them at the airport?

As we are in India for only 4 weeks, are there short period sims?

As you can tell, totally clueless on this matter.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
719 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

Dear

you can get a sim card , you need to have passport photo copy and one your passport size photo.

how do plane for delhi agra tour.

you can do same day your from delhi with car.Rs.4000 to Rs,5000. maruti desire or tata indigo.

you can come to agra by train the best train is shtatabdi exp.takes only two hours.but you have to have confirm tickets first , it is alway good to book these thing with some one so you can ask him if any problem.keep the rate in your mind while doing this.

Agra visit:Taj mahal , agra fort, itmaud dula (baby taj) fatehpur sikri.

kind attn : Taj mahal is closed on friday

there are many option for hotel Rs.4000 and Rs. 2000 per night good hotel.

feel free to ask anything...

Raja

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,391 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

You need to buy a prepaid card, I recommend Airtel.

www.airtel.in

You can buy a SIM card in almost every corner of every Indian city. Have no worries.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
719 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

in this area three network are really good

1.Airtel

2.Vodafone

3.Idea

take any of these .all are good,it is very good idea to buy sim from main store. if you buy from some small shop of other thing so sometimes thery are not filling and sending your document to the company. so your sim will block after three or four days.

all the best.

Raja

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

Be warned that some places are pickier than others about wanting an address in India. Have one ready and if it is hotel it is possible they will refuse, but just try somewhere else.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
719 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

now days if you go to the proper store of mobile sim company they will just ask you about passport only.

if you carry passport size photo is also good.

Raja

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

Last August my son was refused a SIM, despite having his Passport and photo, because they didn't like his Indian address (he was staying in a school at the time). He went to a different place and used a helpful teacher's address and all was fine. It may have been because he was only 17.

Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

I had a very bad experience with Airtel in Jaipur.

I applied for a Sim Card with them at a retailer, I filled in a form (you need your passport, a photo and Indian address). The retailer gave me the SIM card, but I had to wait until I was cleared so the SIM card would be activated. After a couple of days the card was activated and I paid for the SIM card.

3 days later it was rejected and stopped working. The reason was that "my signature on the forms was different that the one on my passport". In fact it was only slightly different, as everyone knows you cannot sign twice exactly the same! I had to go back to the retailer, fill in the forms a second time and have them resent.

A week later and I still had no response. I went to the retailer who told me the form had been rejected again but he had not received the form back so he did not know what the problem was.

My host decided to take me to a main Airtel shop in the city (she lives in the suburbs), we talked to the staff there, they could not see the second application on their computer system. We filled in a third application and the staff told us the SIM card would be reactivated the next day. We took their phone numbers just in case. What followed was another week of waiting, I would call that Airtel staff every day and they would either hang up on me or tell me that the SIM card would be activated tonight, or tomorrow morning, but nothing happened.

I tried to call customer service but I could not talk to anyone as it is all computerised. I emailed them and tried to lodge a complaint but they emailed me back with questions, then emailed again they would look into it, and that was it.

I went back to the retailer who told me the form (number 2) had finally come back (he had not even bothered to call me and let me know), and the reason it was rejected was that I had gone over a number in my phone number (I had gone over it to make it more legible!). So we filled in a fourth form and the retailer kindly lent me his SIM card so I could use my phone until my SIM card was finally activated a couple days later.

I stayed 4 weeks in Jaipur but only could use my phone for 1 week and a half. I needed my phone everyday to call for taxis to pick me up to and from hospital, so that was very inconvenient. I had to ask people to use their phones. Nobody could contact me and I could not contact anyone if I got lost or needed help.

The experience with AIrtel and with getting a SIM card in India was a real nightmare for me! I have travelled a lot in many countries and never had such problems before. My Indian friends could not believe it and joked I should have a party to celebrate finally getting my SIM card!

8. Re: Delhi/Agra and Rajasthan SIM CARD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 07:17