We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would India suit us??

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Would India suit us??

Hi all

I know you cant decide for us but my friend and I are 40something ladies who last year visited Dubai and loved it then this year visited Singapore and loved it too though not as much as Dubai. Need to work out where next,

We enjoy a little culture, seeing how people live, trying new things but we would need somewhere clean where we can eat, drink a little and occassionally sunbathe and visit markets, history etc.

Any ideas please most welcome

Thanks in advance

Karen

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would India suit us??

I'd say, fly into Delhi, do the Golden Triangle (Del, Agra (Taj mahal), Jaipur) circuit, then fly to Goa for some R&R and then fly back from Mumbai. You'll need about 2 weeks to cover all this comfortably.

Check the Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Goa and Mumbai forums for more info.

Hope this helps....

- Sandy

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would India suit us??

Thanks Sandy

Unfortunately we only have one week so I guess we need to decide on a area.

Karen

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Would India suit us??

Hi Karen

As you have only one week I suggest the following.

Day 01 Arrive Delhi

Day 02 Visit Delhi

Day 03 Delhi - Agra

Day 04 Agra - Fathepur Sikri - Jaipur

Day 05 Jaipur sightseeing

Day 06 Jaipur - Delhi

Day 07 Departure Delhi

All the best

Prabhu

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would India suit us??

Golden Triangle will be good for one week time

Cheers !

Clarck

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would India suit us??

Hi,

First of all, you should be aware the India is going to be a vastly different experience from Dubai or Singapore. Its a developing country, much more chaotic, not as clean and organised as either of the two cities. You have to make allowances for that and come with an open mind to get over the culture shock you are going to face on your first day here. If you can look beyond it, you are going to enjoy yourself. But its a big step to make.

I would suggest you start with Goa as its the most westernized of the states and would be an easy introduction for you, but the season in Goa is over. The golden trianagle is also fine to begin with, but get yourselves a good car and a good guide. Look through the travel agencies recommended on the forum. Since its your first trip, I do not suggest you DIY.

Edited: 23 April 2011, 13:50
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would India suit us??

Have you ever been to a third world country before? if not you will get a big culture shock, India is very dirty in places, the golden triangle is fabulous and a great introduction to India, my advice is to book the best hotels you can afford. Very important - dont forget the visa

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Would India suit us??

When exactly are you thinking of going ?

Brave1 and pusscat54 are right to pickup on the state of India it is filthy and vastly different to the places you mentoned. It will assault your senses and not always in a delightful way

When you go is all important as some places are very hostile weather wise. It can get unbearable, and then it just gets worse come monsoon.

You may want to consider the rural side of India and head for the hill stations which are less hectic and much more friendly

Jack

Edited: 23 April 2011, 17:00
Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would India suit us??

If you have enjoyed Singapore and Dubai, then definitely you would find things as clean or organised here in India. You just need to lower your expectations of "clean" a bit.

However, they are many hotels and places in India that do offer an international experience. As brave1 suggested get a good travel agency.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would India suit us??

You either love India or you hate it, as others have said it's a completely different experience from Dubai or Singapore but it's an experience you'll never forget. I would do the Golden Triangle, Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would India suit us??

Hi Karen.

If you are a little unsure about India have you considered somewhere like Sri Lanka? It would offer all the things you want and hopefully will inspire you to visit India in the future. The SL forum will give you lots of info including best time to visit weather wise.