We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monsoon season

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Monsoon season

Im due to arrive in Mumbai early July and leave early Sept. This looks a bad time to visit India because of the rain! Being from London Im used to the wet, however im concerned the monsoon/rain will ruin a potentially great trip?

Can you provide views on where to go / what to do......including routes through india on trains / planes, to avoid most of the bad rains betwen July and Sept.

many thanks in advance

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,640 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monsoon season

There is little or no rain in Rajasthan, which receives only 1% of India's total monsoon. Spend a couple of days in Mumbai, and then fly to Udaipur, and from there you can get to Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Mandawa, Jaipur, Agra and Delhi (I have provided a logical driving sequence). You'll steer clear of heavy rain for most of the time that way.

Edited: 11 May 2011, 15:40
London
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monsoon season

thanks v much:)

I have 9 weeks in india, and would like to go to Nepal as well.

how long do you think your suggested list will take, and do you think Nepal is also a good option at that time of year.

many thanks again for your help with this. im looking forward to seeing the real india for the first time:))

R

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monsoon season

Also parts of the south get very little rain in the Summer. My son's school do a trip every August to southern Tamil Nadu and never get any rain!!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monsoon season

The suggested trip by Deepa shouldn't take more than 3 weeks. There are so many other options you could look at. You need to list down the places you want to see or the kind of holiday you want as 9 weeks is a long time and can explote quite a bit of India. As for the monsoons iin India, I personally love them. I usually take three to four trips during the season to enjoy the nature and beauty of rains. I however feel you wouldn't cherish the experience as UK weather is cold most of the times which is what I yearn for. It is however quite nice to sit in the balcony looking out at the raindrops falling with hot cup of coffee and have the clouds pass by you and maybe even into the room.

Have a good trip and enjoy yourself.

5. Re: Monsoon season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2011, 22:52
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monsoon season

Rob, you say you want to visit Nepal, did you know that once you leave India to go to another country, you can't return for 2 months on a tourist visa. Something to bear in mind when planning your trip.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monsoon season

Since you are planning to be in India during monsoon, why not get wet anyways?? Enjoy the climate and take it as part of your stride.

When you are in Mumbai, take time out to see the city of Lavasa, which is about 200 kms from Mumbai. It's a new city and is being built to become one of the best cities in the world. 2 days would be sufficient there and then you may want to head to Ratnagiri, on the way to Goa and then go down south to Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

Rajasthan, as suggested by some one here is again a good place to be.

8. Re: Monsoon season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 09:17