We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian SIM card in an English phone

west midlands
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Indian SIM card in an English phone

Hello all travellers,

I am going to India for three months this summer and want to take my English phone but fit it with an Indian SIM. I will be in HP region mostly, but also plan on travelling around the country, so I need a SIM that enables roaming. SO, should I buy a SIM over the internet from my English computer, or should I wait until I get to India? If anyone has done this sort of thing before let me know how it works please, or any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

Amelia,

England

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

You can purchase Indian Sim from India during you arrival at the airport you will found some counters like Vodafone , Air tel or Idea.

It`s better to buy sim from India coz buying sim is very cheaper it may cost u 2 GBP app ,all u need photocopy of your passport and visa ,one passport size pic,also call rates are very cheap from India for example one of my British friend have to pay Pound 1 (Rs 70 APP) ,but from Indian sim it cost Rs 7 App.

Another thing is may be you phone will not work in India due to different phone mechanism, you may need it to unblock you phone ,it`s cheap,if you arrive Delhi then you can get it done from Gaffar market in just Rs.200.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

RS.7 App for International call and Incoming is free(When not on roaming) and Re 1 App for local and STD Re 2 App

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

If you can afford it buy the cheapest pay as you go phone in the UK, or when you get to India, that avoids the unblocking issue.

You need passport and passport photos and make sure you have an Indian address you can put on the application. It can be any address, like your hotel, no one checks.

Finally, some phone shops can occasionally be awkward about selling SIMs to foreigners, but if you get refused just try another.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

Good advice above. Remember to bring the passport size photos and photocopies of your passport, front page, address page, and Indian Visa page.

I would recommend Airtel for better coverage, Vodafone is also good.

www.airtel.in

www.vodafone.in

west midlands
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

Thank you everyone - your advice is very comprehensive and thorough!

Northampton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

the best thing is to buy a sim card when u get in there.best choice is bsnl and you can buy with a package that gives you free roaming.dont buy any contracted sim just buy a normal pay and go sim card with topup.your call charges should be around 0.60Rs/min within india.and to uk it may cost around 7Rs/min.-(£1=75Rs.approximately)so it means within india it will cost u around 1p/min and to uk 10pence.try looking for cheap deal on airtel.in or bsnl.co.in..enjoy your holidays...

Taunton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

This all useful advice - but suppose you actually need an indian mobile telephone number before arrival in india, like for instance to facilitate registration to use the Railways online booking system with IRCTC - what then? Even if expensive, is there any way to obtain a +91 mobile number prior to travel?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

you don't need an indian mobile number for IRCTC bookings - see http://www.seat61.com/India.htm#book - from outside

9. Re: Indian SIM card in an English phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 10:18