We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

How much spending money should we take for two adults? We will have booked all hotels and trains so it'll just be for food, entrance fees etc...

We are going for two weeks and are sending three days in Goa before heading north and touring around the main cities (Jaipur, Delhi, Agra, Bikaner).

We won't want to eat at places aimed at tourists but will want to eat at nice clean places. We will want to eat a light lunch then maybe a 2 course dinner, sometimes with a kingfisher and then bottled water or coca cola.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

I don't think you need to carry lot of cash in Indian Rupees. You can get Dollars and can get them exchanged in Indian Rupees when ever you need them. You can carry Indian rupees in denomination of 500 to 1000 INR. Atleast 10000 INR. It would be Enough for any transportation, eating at nice places.

It won't cost a lot. May be lesser amount 6000 INR is also fine.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
376 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

Hey

I travel around a lot in India and mostly on a mid budget. I think you can calculate your meals at INR300-350/meal in a good clean restaurant. Sometimes we manage in INR 100 also, but with a drink it can also go up to INR450/meal or so. Also keep in mind that I am a vegetarian and non-veg costs more in India everywhere.

For sightseeing if you do all the sights in Delhi Agra and Jaipur, it will cost you around INR 3600-3700/person(this includes Red Fort, Qutub Minar, Humayuns Tomb, Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, City Palace, Amer Fort etc)

I hope this helps in estimating your expenses and keep a 10% buffer on it. Also if you dont plan to shop a lot you can manage in a lot less.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

Bmbnewdelhi: thank you. I plan on bringing a bit of cash then using bank cards. I'm scared of not bringing any cash in case the is a problem with my bank card.

Udit_kyi: thank you. I think we will eat mostly vegetarian in India as well. To clarify, for the food costs was that INR 300-350/person or for a couple?

Thank you both of you.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

Laura_babs, make sure you inform your bank you are going to India and your dates of travel, as they may stop your card. You could also consider travellers cheques, safer than cash.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

Thank you. Informing the bank is on my list of things to do. I don't 100% trust it all to work out though. I had friends who landed in Dubai and their bank had blocked their card (for different issues) and it had all their money in! The thought of something similar happens terrifies me so we'll be take cash, two current account debit cards with money split and a credi card...just in case!

I've never really considered travellers cheques before but may look into it.

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

It always good to get some cash along with.

cheers !

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

I am going to delhi for 4 nights then on to sri lanka for 9 nights, i was wondering how much spending money i would need for 2 adults. i only want to sightsee at the taj. can anybody please tell me in pounds how much would be enough.

thanks

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

You can carry some pounds,ATM cards. Pounds can be changed any where.In emergency you can use your card to withdraw money as there are many machines for the purpose.

For food you need approx INR400-600/ person.

The entrance fee for the Taj--INR750/person.

Rashidagraindia

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

Many thanks Rashidagraindia.

this helps very much, think i just in a panic that i wont have enough money! is it really that cheap?

debbie

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much spending money to bring for two weeks?

The prices are not too high. Easily manageable .No need to get panic.Health is highly concerned. Always eat in a place where there r already people eating.

Rashidagraindia