We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
872 posts
319 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

Everyone I know that has been to India has ended up sick, mostly stomach issues and diarrhea. Even at 5 star hotels. I plan to take probiotics in advance, but I am not sure this is going to be enough. And of course avoid iced drinks and drink branded bottled water. Other than this what other tips have you seasoned Indian travelers learned to do and what not to do, or what not to eat?

Thanks in advance.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

I always carry hand washing gel and use it before eating. Be cautious with salads, and make sure your food is either very hot, or very cold. If in doubt, stick to vegetarian.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
872 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

Great suggestion, thank you for that.

Others?

from wales
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

crunchymonkey, I have been to India 8 times and have only been ill once... there are obvious things you can do to help yourself like only drinking bottled water, only brushing teeth with bottled water and using the hand gel, I dont eat from street sellers but my husband does with no problems, only eating fruits if you peel them else they may have been washed in tap water and we tend to drink lots of 'lassi' a yoghurt based drink, which I'm sure is similar to those probiotic drinks, we go for the sweet version but it also comes in salted (an acquired taste).

Andrea

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
872 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

Andrew,

So it pretty much seems just like other places I have been. No ice, bottled water only even for brushing, Make sure things are cooked or cold, peel fruit or wash it well with bottled water and soap, or cooled boiled water. Some yoghurt will have the good bacteria indeed, but I am not sure if all of it does. I take suppliments usually before traveling to countries where cleanliness may be an issue.

The sweet yoghurt is probably better, but pick your poision I guess, sweet or salty, seems both could cause issues if you drink too much over many years.

Thank you for your feedback!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

the major concerns are water and food only eat at good restaurants and not street vends, even the water should be bought from proper shops and not the road side vends

avoid precut salads and yogurt also if you want yogurt you should take the pro-biotic yogurt in sealed containers

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
872 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

Ahhh, sealed yogurt. Do they serve these in resturants though? or you have to buy them at shops and then bring them in with you? Do they allow that?

I usually avoid all street vendors anyway.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

If you are taking anti-malaria tablets doxycycline also helps protect against travellers diahorrea.

Hand Sanitiser is essential.

A friend who lives in India recommended I took Neem tablets which are available there.

In 2 months travelling I did not have any tummy trouble using a combination of the above.

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

My misses allways has the hand gel in her bag and allways checks the bottles of water have sealed caps.I used to laugh at how cautious she was and when i went to India in June i got abit sick but didn't tell her when i got back because i would never of heard the rest of it.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
872 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

I don't plan to take any malaria tablets.

I will have to buy some hand sanitizer somewhere.

What are Neem tablets?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for not getting ill while traveling in India?

sorry for the delay. Neem is a tree it is known as the village pharmacy in India and a natural antibiotic, different parts of the tree have different benefits. Neem capsules contain the ground leaves, Himalya Herbal is a common brand over there, In the UK neem oil is used against hair lice!

More info here & elsewhere on the internet:- folkremediesforyou.com/neem-tree-folk-remedi… it is effective for so many things.