We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

We will have just had 3 days in Varanasi. Will it be worthwhile to spend a night in Haridwar (we are coming into the train station there as our entryway to Uttarkarhand). to see the holy city there when I have already been to Varanasi. I am contemplating staying at Havelli Hari Ganga. Thanks.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

I personally much prefer staying at Haridwar rather than Varanasi. The river is much cleaner at Haridwar, the city is not as congested, and some beautiful day trips you can do to Rishikesh/Lakshmanjhula. Varanasi has its own charm, but for me Haridwar pushes my buttons. I would strongly suggest you not miss it.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

Thanks brave1

Soundss as though I should keep it in my itinerary. Can you tell me a bit more about Lakshmanjhula. I know nothing about it.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

Hi,

Its a lovely suspension bridge with specacular views of the Ganges river. There are temples on either side of the river bank that you can visit. Rishikesh is lovely town not far from there. Take a look here-

bharatonline.com/uttarakhand/rishikesh/laksh…

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
19 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

i would suggets that you definitely visit haridwar. this place is much cleaner and serene than varanasi. habeli hari ganga is definitely a good choice. don;t miss ganga aarti in the evening in har ki pouri. go as early as 5 pm so that you get a good place. you can visit dehradoon, mussorie, rishikesh from here. my suggestion is go for a off beat wild life safari in raja ji national park (in between haridwar and rishikesh).from lachman jhula in rishikehs you can get superb view of the ganges.a trip to india is not complete without visiting haridwar. you also go for meditation or adventure sports like rafting in rishikesh.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

Definitely in my itinerary now. Thanks again.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

juliest

There are some similarities between Varanasi and Haridwar. Both the places are referred as holy places of Hindu Mythology, situated on the bank of the river Ganges. But both have different characteristics. Varanasi is more flambyoant. Whereas, Haridwar is more popular to pilgrims and of course relatively clean. However, if you are coming to Uttarakhand, you should touch Haridwar. Keep minimum a day to see Haridwar.

AshisRoy

Edited: 17 March 2012, 08:11
7. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2012, 06:05
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

I am the original poster. We are so happy we went to both cities. We found them to be very diferent and very unique. Actually, I found the evening aarti ceremony in Haridwar muchmore moving and in some ways it seemed much more authentic than the evening ceremony in Varanasi. I encourage you to also visit Haridwar in addition to Varanasi. We also went over to Rishikesh; it didn't do much at all for us.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

<I found the evening aarti ceremony in Haridwar muchmore moving and in some ways it seemed much more authentic than the evening ceremony in Varanasi.>

You are *so* right. I completely agree.

10. Re: Is Haridwar redundant if I've been to Varanasi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:18