We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

hi, we are a family of four, travelling in August this year and we will be taking the overnight train in AC2 sleeper class from Khajuraho to Varanasi. I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has done this particular journey and could tell me about it and if you had any tips for us. i have read all the info about travelling in train in India at http://www.seat61.com/ , so i was looking for perhaps some more personal tales! How was the breakfast? What did you do in Khajuraho until 11:30 at night when the train came? How was the scenery out the window in the morning? stuff like that! ;-)

Jo

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

also wanted to know if the AC is really cold in Indian trains. when we took trains in Thailand last year, the AC was freezing and we needed long sleeves and a blanket at night, we were actually cold!

Jo

Edited: 12 April 2012, 21:02
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

Breakfast not that great on indian trains. Khajuraho is small place and may be you have to just wait for the train to leave. Not much to do.

deepak

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

thank you deepak for replying. we may have to grin and bear it as we don't arrive into Varanasi until 10:30am! hopefully the chai will be decent on the train!

Jo

Toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

Ac2train was great, I did Jaipur to Varanasi, and Varanasi to Agra

No breakfast on my trains

Bring your own food/ restaurants, your hotel etc will pack u a meal to go

Chai was good but super sweet

one train was super cold but the other one had a mouse

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

thanks for the info! i can't believe they didn't have any food in the AM on an overnight train - good to know, my 16 yr old son would die from starvation! ;-) will bring food with us for sure!

Jo

Toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

There was definitely no dining car

On one train people came by but mostly selling chips I think

Anyway I was warned against buying food on trin so I came prepared

I did drink the chai whn others in my compartment ho befriended me did too

Most people on the train where I was had a lot of food with them

One family shared wht amounted to an Indian buffet with me and it was great (veg)

Me I travelled with cheese sandwiches, some biscuits, some rolls etc as well as my water of course

Bring toilet paper and wipes are handy

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

this is what i look forward to on the train the most was meeting other Indian families. when we took the train last year from bangkok to chiang mai in Thailand, that was the coolest part, especially for our children.

Jo

8. Re: overnight train from Khajuraho-Varanasi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:40