We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleeper trains

Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
sleeper trains

Could anyone tell me what the sleeper trains are like in India. We're not young - still fit but after travelling on sleeper trains in Egypt where we struggled to sleep on reclining seats - not very comfortable, were wondering if we'll cope with the ones in India.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sleeper trains

hey hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

in Indian Train there is various Compartment 1st is 1AC , 2AC, 3AC, CC , SL, Seating

Sleeper Class Means without AC Coach and total occupancy 6 person.

Could be busiest class in Indian Trains. Door gets never close anybody can come and go by station to station with out tickets.

be honest if you are going to long journey (10hrs ) Try 3AC

Regards,

uju

mumbai

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sleeper trains

Hi, I do not know what you mean by "not young", but Indian Railways has a super discount for seniors. I am planning on using it on my upcoming trip. I will get a 50% discount which makes First Class with A/C extremely affordable and comfortable.

Check out their site online.

Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sleeper trains

That's interesting cgw1. We are 61 and 58 . I checked one site but could only find concessions for senior male citizen and senior female citizen which we obviously don't qualify for. Could you list a link - I just googled Indian Railways

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sleeper trains

Hi,

Just did a quick search and found this:Indian Railways senior citizen concession, new rules from June

May 25, 2011 DeshGujarat

Indian Railways senior citizen concession, new rules from June

Ahmedabad, 25 May, 2011

In a bid to provide maximum benefit to senior citizens, the Ministry of Railways has decided to increase the element of concession to 40% from existing 30% for male senior citizens who are above 60 years of age. The concessional fare of 40% will be applicable o n tickets purchased o n and after 1st June, 2011. In case of tickets already issued for travel on and after 1st June, 2011, refund of difference of fares will not be admissible.

In case of women senior citizens, the minimum age for availing senior citizens concession has been reduced to 58 years from the existing 60 years. The element of concession remains to be 50 per cent.

The concession to senior citizens is granted in the basic fares of Mail/Express trains and all inclusive fares of Rajdhani/Shatabdi/Jan Shatabdi trains.

Senior citizens are given concession through PRS(Passenger Reservation System) on demand(and not by default). In such case senior citizen has to carry some document showing proof of their age or date of birth, issued by any Government institution/Agency/Local Body. This may be in the form of an Identity Card, Ration Card, Driving License, Passport, Educational certificate, certificate from Local Bodies like Panchayat/Corporation/Municipality, or any other authentic and recognized document to be produced, if demanded by authorized Railway Official during the journey.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sleeper trains

I am not sure if the % is higher now or not. I seem to remember reading that it was now 50%, but could be wrong. I am sure someone more in the know will chime in.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sleeper trains

hey hi

Check it out the rates on Cleartrip.com

regards,

uju

mumbai

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sleeper trains

I just found it and your wife (58) will get 50% and you (61) will get 40%.

The age is 60 for men and 58 for women.

Toronto
Level Contributor
315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sleeper trains

Gee, it is late at night here. I really ought to go to bed. I am repeating the same info. SORRY

Edited: 12 April 2012, 05:19
Cochin
Level Contributor
369 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sleeper trains

Dear AusGabby

Please check out the below weblink

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/fare_Enq.html

Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sleeper trains

Thanks everyone for the advice and the links. Btw I'm the wife, the photo is one of our son's facebook photos which has somehow attached to my TA profile. One day I'll have the time and inclination to work out how to change it.