We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains - Cleartrip

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trains - Cleartrip

Hi,

Has anyone used cleartrip to book train tickets and did they find them reliable. Ie you booked a ticket and then the seat was then available on the train.

Any advice for advance booking the trains from the UK greatfully received!

Amanda

Toronto
Level Contributor
370 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

booked all my train tickets through cleartrip and absolutelu no problems at all.

I understand though that some of the less travelled train routes may not lways show up there but that is word of mouth

very easy to use and very easy to cancel too

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

Very reliable. Yes, some trains might not show up in the offerings.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

Amanda, yes you can book with Cleartrip, it's reliable and easy - once you're registered, that is!

However, IRCTC (the official Indian Railways online booking service, which Cleartrip links to) has insisted that:

(a) everyone who registers on Cleartrip opens an IRCTC account simultaneously (this has been integrated as part of the Cleartrip registration) and

(b) during the creation of your IRCTC account they need to send an activation code to an Indian mobile phone number which you probably won't have!

The workaround for this is to first register at Cleartrip.com, which also resgiters you at IRCTC, using a dummy phone number, then email care@irctc.co.in with a scan of your passport saying you are a foreign national and asking for the SMS OTP (one Time Password).

Once you have this SMS OTP, go to the original 'SUCCESSFUL REGISTRATION for an irctc account' email that IRTCTC sent you when you registered on Cleartrip and look for an easily-missed link to activate on a partner site, half way down the email. Click this, enter the SMS and Email OTPs, and it should activate your account. Now you can book online at Cleartrip.

I've written a blow by blow account of how to do all this, but you'll have to Google for it.

But it does work, believe me, and not only have I tested it (buying tickets I didn't need, then successfully cancelling them online too) but many others have succeeded too.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 08:00
London
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

That's great thanks for the advice. I am sure I would have got stuck at that point. Might get all this set up then ahead of time before we start trying to book the important tickets!

Toronto
Level Contributor
370 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

It absolutely does work although for me I got no repy to my first email to ndian rail

Waited about five days as I sent first email on Friday and I thought weekend etc

Then re emailed, second time got only message PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED GO AHEAD

No SMS OTP though

So tried yet again suggesting I would call instead

Anyway all was good with apology

And it worked

I however also did this months before I actually needed it

Do not leave it to the last minute iis my advice

Ie now is better

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

Yes, I had problems with the SMS and so went in to Seat61 site (I was looking to see if I could book Indian trains with them coz Cleartrip was getting too hard with the registration bit) and came across the details of how to register with cleartrip and IRTC. I actually sent an email to IRTC with copy of passport and within 24 hrs received SMS code via email. Have just purchased online our first rail ticket with Cleartrip. I think I am brilliant coz I am in the grey nomad brigade and have crossed another hurdle!! Seat61 explains it very well.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 14:19
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

Mark's site (www.seat61.com) is brilliant, and you will never find a more comprehensive guide on trains anywhere on the internet.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

Bravo1 thanks for pointing out the website, and well done Mark. It is a very impressive website indeed, and well worth a mention to anyone thinking about train travel.

Very impressed you were on the Top Gear fiasco too Mark !!

9. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2012, 11:01
Mullumbimby...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains - Cleartrip

I am stuck at my postcode, as I am in Australia I only have 4 digits and they want 6. Can I do this from Australia, register with IRTC with an Australian address?