We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yank looking for visa in London

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
251 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Yank looking for visa in London

Cheers,

Does anyone know if it's possible for USA citizen to obtain a six month Indian tourist visa while in London? (through an in person visit to the London Indian visa office?

Any idea on costs?

How long it takes?

Thanks so much,

-a

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yank looking for visa in London

Look on the VSF website for the Uk..... Uk nationals abroad tend to get either 3 months or 6 months, think you will be in same group.

Costs etc are on the website.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yank looking for visa in London

Hi a

I am fairly certain you have to be resident in Uk to get a visa for India. Take a look at this link from the VFS site.

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/referral_case.html

You could pop into the VFS office in Wilton Road, Victoria to check it out.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yank looking for visa in London

I think its possible to get a India visa in this case, but the processing time is likely to take longer and some documents may be required.

From the VFS site link given above by Igirl-

For Non UK Passport Holders applying for any visa type other than Employment Visa, resident in UK for less than Two years, need to provide

Duly filled additional form for non-UK nationals who have been living in the UK for less than two years. The processing time for such applications will be minimum 10-15 working days.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yank looking for visa in London

I assumed the OP meant he was visiting London Brave1. The key wording in the VFS advice is "Resident." Anyway I will wait till he comes back on to clarify.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yank looking for visa in London

Igirl,

Even if the OP is visiting London, the rules for resident less than two years would apply as far as I think. Only VFS can clarify for sure.

There are people who get visas to India from Bangkok while on trips to Thailand, so its possible. But I think you only get a three month visa as you are not applying from your resident nation.

6. Re: Yank looking for visa in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 00:15