We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping confusion

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Tipping confusion

I'm currently in New Delhi on a work trip, staying at the Taj Palace Hotel. Luckily all our expenses are being charged to the company but I still feel I should be leaving tips for good service. Bit confused about how much to leave though.

Today I had a day off so relaxed at the pool for nearly six hours. The pool attendants were fantastic all day although the first one finished before I could tip him. As I left I tipped the second guy 300 rupees. I tipped the waiter who brought my lunch 100 rupees. Was this too much? When I came back to the room I did some research online and most people seem to be talking about tipping only 5, 10 or 20 rupees at a time. I'm worried now in case I have appeared arrogant to the staff.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping confusion

Rs. 5 and Rs, 10 as tips are not good tips these days. Rs. 20 is usually given by locals to valets for parking their cars. The Rs. 100 that you gave the waiter is about right I'd say as is the Rs 300 because of the duration for which you used the services.

Having said that I must say that I too get very confused about how much to tip, though I'm an Indian. We really appreciated Oberoi Rajvilas's (in Jaipur, where we stayed recently) poilcy where they have clearly stated that no tips (gratuity they call it) is to be given to the staff. However they added that in case one still wants to tip, one can leave the tip amount in an envelope marked 'Gratuities' and leave it in the room at the time of check-out. They also suggested that in case one wants to appreciate an individual(s) one should mention their name(s) in a note and leave it in the same envelope. I feel this is a very classy way of tipping and more hotels should follow this policy....

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping confusion

As far as the tips are concerned i think is always a personnel decision...what you have tipped seems alright to me.Rs 5,10 and 20 is not a good tip now a days....tip is also done according to a person status/job.

Rashid Agra

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
153 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping confusion

Hi,

If you are staying at a hotel like Taj Palace in Delhi, tipping 5,10, 20 rupees is out of question.

The usual tipping is about Rs. 50 - 100 depending on the kind of services they are doing.

Rs. 300 i would say is on the higher side, but is justified if you have used the services for 6 hrs, and if more than one person has served you, as this would then get divided between the two/ three persons.

Tipping Rs. 100 for serving lunch/ dinner in the room, is also a good enough tip.

So rest assured, what you did was right and will get you smiles and good services in return for your duration of stay at the hotel.

Thanks

Poonam Gupta

4. Re: Tipping confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:17