We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

Any insight would be extremely helpful:

I'm planning to visit Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Bangalore, Hampi and Varanasi in April.

My question is, would it make my trip more enjoyable to use a mask (like a Respro, etc) in order to filter out soot, dust and other pollutants?

If I were to wear a mask, would people on the street look at me funny or not want to talk to me?

Thanks!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

The street would come to a standstill and you would look like a madperson. You'd not be able to move for people taking your photo on their phones.

Even Delhi is not that bad. Other cities are fine.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

Of course, if you have a real medical need, go ahead, but you WILL be viewed as a spaceman walking the streets.

nuneaton
Level Contributor
636 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

it may depend on when you go, i was i delhi end of jan last year for three days before going to varanasi, and the polution got on my chest causing mild coughing, i ended up buying a scarf and covering my mouth when driving all over delhi in tuk tuks, rick shaws etc , because of exhaust fumes mainly, no problems in varanasi or agra, but delhi deffo issue,buy a scarf and dont look like a doctor on vacation, you will go unnoticed then, i am flying to delhi on 26jan for some more, but i will be taking last years scarf, enjoy dave

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

I've seen Asian tourists in Rajasthan use it. Don't think locals looked more funnily at them than they did at me :)

I think it depends on whether you're used to a certain degree of pollution or not, if you need a mask. I was not, and ended up coughing for months on end, even after returning home.

Gasquet
Level Contributor
76 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

A couple months ago we were in Delhi and the air pollution was Awful. Never went to the extreme of the mask thing, but did see it from time to time, and yes, those people look goofier than he--l. But, prob. taking the best care of their lungs. In India, the shawls, and scarves, for women go on for days and days....if I were to wear a mask, I would wrap a pretty shawl around my face...No one would question your intent!

Hanoi, Vietnam
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

Hi guys,

We are from Karibon Facemasks Company in Vietnam.

http://www.karibon.com

We are doing facemasks that contains genuine Activated Carbon Cloth offering protection against air pollutants.

Our masks were tested in Nelson Lab in the US, it showed that the mask can filter 99% particulate matter <0.3PM.

Inner and outer layers are made from 100% cotton or pure silk to ensure maximum breathability and comfort. The masks are also washable.

We are quite polular in the expat community in Vietnam

tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/vi/aska/answers/qid/1935

We welcome all enquiries.

Thank you

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

I don't think that you will need mask

8. Re: Do I Need a Mask For Pollution

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 05:18