We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Begging children

Arlington MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Begging children

Is it a good idea to have something - candy, pencils, whatever -- to give to children? Are there just too many to make it feasible?

Thanks, Harriet Reisen

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Begging children

Better to route your gifting through one of the many NGOs. You may find many more children surfacing out of the woodwork if you start the process on a street in India

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Begging children

yes, unless you are somewhere isolated, children will come out of the woodwork, so to speak and word will spread very very quickly. believe me, i speak from experience by creating mob scenes that i never meant to...

Jo

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Begging children

No good idea to give anything to begging children. You could visit some NGO or school if you like to help.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Begging children

No, there's too many of them, you'll get swamped if you give anything to just one.

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Begging children

If you want to do any kind of contribution visit Mother Teresa home which looks after children and some old people. School is a also a good option to distribute candies /pencils/pens.

Rashid Agra

Edited: 26 January 2013, 14:20
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Begging children

It is sometimes hard to turn a blind eye. Please remember that street children very rarely have good dental hygenie so giving them sweets or candy isn't a good idea.

I sometimes buy fruit from a street vendor to give to them.

Susie.x

7. Re: Begging children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:16