We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July in India - where to go?

East Midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
July in India - where to go?

Hi, I'll be flying into Delhi at the beginning of July as part of a year long round the world trip and have a month in India before flying back out of Delhi and onto Beijing.

My plan was to spend a couple of nights in Delhi, then visit the Taj Mahal and then spend the rest of the time exploring Northern India (Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh - not as far as Kashmir). I'd rather spend the time covering an area well rather than trying to fit too much in.

I'd chosen this area because I'd read this was the best area for weather for July however someone else has mentioned that it's rainy season and that may spoil some of my journey in those areas, and has suggested I visit Rajasthan instead/as well.

I've been researching and am still not much wiser! I'd like decent-ish weather, good scenery and places to visit and wander round. I don't want to rush from place to place either.

Any suggestions for possible itineraries or areas to concentrate on would be most welcome!

Thank you :)

Hyderabad, Andhra...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July in India - where to go?

I wonder how did u forget about Kerala it is very beautiful place India, kerala is very near to Sea you can search for the site on google maps about kerala, It is in South part of India, July is monsoon time for India you find Rain every where.

North side look like your country if you want to see other parts of India, then visit south and west part they look diffrent from East and North.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July in India - where to go?

Going to India in July will always create this dilemma - it's monsoon ... every year!

Having said that, the northern part of what is a huge country is pronanly better - rains will not be the 24/7 deluge you see on TV, and oyu can hope they will bring down the temperature a bit,

Where to go? Either stick with your plans or spend some time in Rajasthan - Jaipur is a few hours' drive or train from Delhi or Agra and well worth a visit (Amber Palace is one of my favourute places in India) and if you go Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Delhi you'd only take a few days out of your month but it woud be worth it.

Beyond what's called the goden triangle (D-A-J-D) there is a wealth of places to see and explore in Rajasthan - cities, villages,deserts and wildlife sanctuaries, forts and temples, palaces, museums and shops ... step wells, camel safaris, desert, jungle ... we spent 16 days, we could easily spend a month justin Rajasthan!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July in India - where to go?

Totally agree with John !

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July in India - where to go?

hey chariot,

johnb's got spot on advice there for you, i would advise the same thing. my first trip to India, we did the Golden Triangle plus Orchha, Khajuraho and Varanasi plus Nepal in August - very similar weather patterns...and it was fabulous! having just come back from 10 weeks on my second trip, focusing mainly in Rajasthan, i can safely say that you could spend months travelling in just Rajasthan!! lol!

if you would like to read my trip report from my first trip, it is located here:

tripadvisor.ca/…43430927

i would completely advise against kerala in July as the monsoon in that area in July from what I understand would be a complete wipeout in terms of wetness and would be an undesirable area to travel in.

Jo

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
112 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July in India - where to go?

Hi, I was kind of wondering the same thing.

We are planning a trip for either June, July or August this year.

We want to do about 3 weeks and could we go anywhere in the south or just stay in the north or Rajasthan?

Thanks, Sandy

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July in India - where to go?

I am sure you could stay and make a good trip of rajasthan in 3 weeks.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July in India - where to go?

Hi chariot..

July is a monsoon season in india , moderate in northern, central and southern part..heavy in east india..

After your delhi visit proceed to agra- apend a day there- move to jaipur - spend 3 nights there exploring various places as mentioned by john--also can visit ranthambore national sanctuary - if you want to do desert safari, then can go to jaisalmer..

After rajasthan - go to uttarakhand- can visit haridwar/rishikesh-nainital/corbett national park --also july is the season for valley of flower trek near at joshimath (am also going on this july)..

After uttarakhand - go to himachal - can explore places like shimla - dalhousie - khajjiar - dharamsala - manali.

After rajasthan you can go to khajuraho too as per suggested - it will require 2 days...visit by taxi from delhi-agra-jaipur, from chandigarh-shimla-manali-dharamsala/dalhousie, by train from delhi to dehradoon (if you are going to rishikesh) , jaipur to jodhpur (if you are going to jaisalmer), delhi to khajuraho and come back.

If would like to suggest you the circuit -

1. Delhi-(taxi)-agra-(taxi)-jaipur-(train)-jodhpur-(taxi)-jaisalmer-(taxi)-jodhpur-(train)-delhi - required 7 to 8 days

2. Delhi -(train)-dehradoon-(taxi)-haridwar/rishikesh-(train from haridwar) - kathgodam-(taxi)-nainital-(taxi)- corbett - back to delhi - require min 8 days

3. Delhi-(train)-chandigarh-onwards by taxi- shimla-manali-dalhousie-khajjiar/dharamsala-chandigarh -(train)-delhi - require 10 days

I also recommend to add , delhi-(overnight train) - varanasi -(overnight train)- delhi - 3 days

To visit nepal (kathmandu, pokhra and kumbhu valley) best season is from mid october to mid december..

The best season to visit south , specially kerala is from november to february..

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July in India - where to go?

Hi sandy..

June in india is hottest month, and august is rainy season (more than moderate)..so in between these three months , july will be good..

Keep folding umbrella and rainy jacket with you.

You can go to south (kerala) but july is not the best season to visit.

You can explore golden triangle , rajasthan, varanasi and some part of uttarakhand / himachal.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July in India - where to go?

Ranthambhore is closed in the monsoon season.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July in India - where to go?

In the south, the east coast does not get the south-west monsoons in July. So you can go to Chennai, Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry, Thanjavur etc. You will get beaches and UNESCO heritage sites.

In the north-west, Rajasthan and Gujarat both do not get huge amounts of rain, so these are also nice to visit.

If you like mountains, then the best place to go is Ladakh, which is a high altitude desert with gorgeous Himalayan vistas.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 03:17