We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Hi all,

I am hoping to do the following trip (on a smallish budget if possible) in just under a week this June and I was wondering whether I am being too ambitious. I am a lone traveler and it is my first time in India. I am spending 9 weeks in India total, but would like some advice on this first week.

I fly into Delhi Saturday at 8am (acclimatise and recover mostly this day, maybe small amount of sight seeing)

Sunday- 6am train to Agra then 17:40 train overnight to Udaipur (arrives 6:10am next day)

I am interested in seeing Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri, do you think the latter is possible?

Monday - Udaipur

Tuesday - Udaipur (leave 22:20 for Jaipur, arrives 6am next day)

Wednesday - Jaipur

Thursday - Jaipur

Friday - 6am train from Jaipur to Delhi arriving 10:30

Saturday - fly to Cochin late morning

After this I am flying to Cochin and traveling up to Mumbai for 3 weeks, then I am spending a further 6 weeks in Mumbai, therefore, Delhi wasn't a priority for me to see, should it be?

Originally I was planning on travelling the typical golden triangle, however, Udaipur has caught my eye, and the only trains running between Agra and Jaipur have me leaving Agra early (5-6am) and therefore spending more money on a hotel for the night, or arriving in Jaipur late (10pm onwards)

Thanks for any advice

Sarah

London
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Hi Sarah

This is Alex, i and my boyfriend did something similar a few weeks ago. We did go to Jaipur and Udaipur but we had a private taxi. The reason was the extra night in hotel and Taxi costed nearly the same price but gave us an extra night in Udaipur.

Also be very careful if travelling alone, never accept anything to eat or drink from strangers (even if they are a family group) as I have heard some stories on how they might be drugged so as to unburden you of your belongings.

Cochin is nice. Try and get a nice Homestay at Fort Kochin. Best place to be in Cochin. Very nice and traditional. We booked ours through a London company called Falconandsachz.

Delhi is nice and perhaps a night is good. It can be very expensive though. And i preferred South India (Cochin) and Mumbai to Delhi and North India.

Have a lovely trip and keep safe

Alex

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Hi saraha,

This is wise decision to include udaipir in your itinerary and traveling by train.

If you are prepared to do so there shouldn't be any problem. Train tickets scam ,active touts at station etc etc. If you go through earlier posts by travelet they alert you.

As ;a single travrler it is economical in train compare to private cab.

Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri, is possible to do in a day if you go first to FSilri, then Taj and at the end fort. You have to hire a taxi to do the tour.

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Yes three sites are possible in a day...........days are very long in the summer...........go to Taj Mahal first in order to avoid heat.rest of the monuments after that.........better to arrange an AC car for the s/s.

Note: Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays.

Thanks

Rashid Agra

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

You may take a car for trip , it will be easier and fly Oe take train from udaipur - cochin ..

You can do Delhi - Agra - jaipur - jodhpur - udaipur - cochin.

Good luck

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Train seems really like a sensible way to save money on hotels and travel while you sleep but it can be fairly rough. Solo travel by train overnight is nothing to write home about. Well. Actually trains *are* something to write home about, if you survive the bad toilets and rush of touts at the stations, you can write a survivor story :-) Keep your wits about you. Please read up about it before you travel. There are many fans of overnight train travel in India, but as you can see, I am not one of them.

Deepa

Edited: 25 May 2013, 04:34
6. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 15:05
Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

Akahaysharma,,

donot post your contact details it is against the guidelines of TA

8. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 23:56
9. Re: Delhi-Agra-Udaipur-Jaipur

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17