We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide or not ?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Tour guide or not ?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are visiting India in December for about 16 days .

Our program includes the following cities : Delhi - Udaipur - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Pushkar - Jaipur - Agra - Varanasi - Khajuraho .

I'm about to book the trip with an agency that charge about 300$ for a tour guide (different in each city), for the whole trip.

Do you think that a tour guide is necessary for all the above mentioned places?

If not for which cities would you recommend the help of a guide?

If yes, do you think the price is reasonable ?

Thanks in advance,

jimo1981

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guide or not ?

hi...

Better book tour guide for Jaisalmer,jaipur,agra and khajuraho..you don't need guide for other cities..

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide or not ?

You are spending a lot on your trip...there should be no hesitation on this part.India is a place you need guides to sort out few things .I think the amount mentioned is more or less fine for 16 days guide services.There is also a possibility to book guides directly through TripAdvisor forum.

Regards

Rashid Agra

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide or not ?

Hi,

It is advisable to hire a tour guide during your trip in India to know the history of the city and the monuments. In your 16 days tour you will be having sight seeing for about 10 days and rest of the days would be in travelling / leisure. Guide charges would be approx. USD 20 per day.

So, either you negotiate with your tour operator to reduce the cost for guide or you can book directly by searching on the forum.

Regards,

Arun

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guide or not ?

I don't know about a guide but I don't think you can visit 10 places in just 16 days, you won't have time to visit anything.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide or not ?

You may ask for city guides or monuments guide to save money. You do not need guide for every and each city but surely you need guide for Delhi , Jodhpur , Udaipur , Jaipur , Agra and Varanasi.

Florida City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide or not ?

No need to book a guide in advance, just reach the destination and check with local authorities that way it'll be just $3 to $10 each destination , don't forget to bargain. hope this'll help.

7. Re: Tour guide or not ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 17:25
Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide or not ?

Hi,

300$ is quite high price. You will get much better guides when you visit the locations at a reasonable price.

CarLink

9. Re: Tour guide or not ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16