We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Topic
Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

We are on a tour with a driver in India for 10 days, we will definitely be tipping the driver but we are unsure if we are expected to tip the tour operator, he is also the owner of the tour company. He hasn't spent any time with us on the trip but met us at the airport and will meet us for dinner one evening. Are we expected to tip him, if so how much approximately?

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

I don't think so as he owns a company according to you.Tipping is generally done to Drivers,potters,in Restaurant,Bell Boys.

Rashid Agra

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

If you have had a good trip and think he has done a good job looking after your arrangements, then take a gift when you go to meet him. It could be a bottle of wine, or a box of chocolates, or something useful for his office, and you could pin a thank you note to it. This is the right way to handle a tour operator.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

I agree with Deepa ji

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

I too agree with Deepaji. Hope her suggestion have sorted out your confusion.

Regards,

Arun

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

Thanks so much for your advice. It was very helpful!

NZ
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

So how much did you tip your driver who was with you for 10 days?? We are doing a trip with a driver over 16 days in Dec and are interested in the recommended guideline.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

I read up on tipping the driver and I think tipping 200-300 rupees a day is pretty good. Do you know if your drivers costs are included in your tour price? Our tour included the drivers room and food so this is also something to take into consideration when tipping. Also remember he will make commission if he takes you to shops, this is kind of annoying as they really do the hard sell, i dont enjoy that kind of shopping. We tipped our driver 400 a day but it was because he was really excellent, friendly, knowledgeable and really went out his way to help us out, he even bought us water every day and beers one time, we also had a problem with our bank card and he leant us money until it was sorted so we felt he really gave us exceptional service. We had another driver in Nepal and the service was really not too good so we are tipping only 100 a day.

I hope that helps, I'm not an expert but from research I think it is correct.

If you need a recommendation for a tour company, then let me know as we were very happy with ours.

8. Re: Should we tip our tour operator/manager?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 07:23