We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South India

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
South India

i am planning on going to south india for 2 weeks! starting at chennai and ending up at goa!

can anyone recommend any place that I should see and that are amazing along the way? We are going along the coast? like beaches, temples, sights or anything!

thank you!

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South India

i will put down suggestion for Tamil Nadu, once you finalise your places transportation can be checked.

Chennai region:

Chennai- happening capital of TN, have beaches, temples and busy always. There are academies for music and dance. and have transportation for all the cities in TN.

Kanchipuram - 1.5 hours travel from chennai holds many temples with the pallava architecture. and also silk dress 1-2 days.

mahabalipuram - 1 hour in ECR from chennai, Shore temple and cave / stone carvings. morning till evening.

pondicherry - 2 hours on ECR from chennai, pondicherry colony still holds their infrastructure. aurobindo ashram, auroville is located here. 1 day but if you wish to stay in ashram you need to have prior reservation.

Thanjavur region:

Kumbakonam- i cant say the temples it holds. :)

Trichy: centre of TN and well connected. it holds a dam built on 2A.D. srirangam temple: worlds largest functioning hindu temple.

Thanjavur - holds the palace of raja raja cholan, and his marvel construction The Big Temple staning charmingly over 1000 years now. many dance and music classes /stores are there.

Madurai region:

Meenakshi amman temple, kal-alagar temple.

rameshwaram, kanyakumari(lands end of india)

there are still many places i havent mentioned. will update this draft once you do a little research :)

you can try to chek these and fit in :)

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South India

Since your want to end in Goa, you could consider Gokarna region or Hampi as the place just before Goa.

In addition to Tamil Nadu you could include a bit of Kerala or Karnataka. Maybe travel Chennai/Madurai/Periyar/Kochi/ and along the coast and visiting Hampi from Karwar.

3. Re: South India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 05:35
Edited: 15 August 2013, 05:35
4. Re: South India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:16