We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering India with holiday money

Billericay, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Entering India with holiday money

I see that offically I can't take Rupees into India but I'm a Brit travelling there in October but spending 4 days in Nepal first. Will I be able to take Rupees into Nepal and then take unused ones into India with me? Does anyone have advice specific to this situation?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering India with holiday money

Hi..

Yes, you can use that unused money..can also exchange at airport

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering India with holiday money

Sorry, dear, the law says that you cannot bring Indian rupees into India from outside as you are not supposed to take it out.

If you want to visit India, you are required to bring your money in Pound and convert the pound here in India and get rupees. On airports, you will find exchange bureau open 24 x 7 offering exchange facility.

Pleas do not buy rupees in U.K. it is illegal plus you will not get a good rate in U.K. There are several threads already run on the issue.

Sanjiv

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering India with holiday money

The case for Nepal is different. You can take unused INR into Nepal and back into India. But not to and fro from the UK.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering India with holiday money

Hi Brave1,

I understand that one cannot bring 500 and 1,000 rupee denomination notes from Nepal. Is it true? This measure is to stop fake currency notes from entering in India.

Sanjiv

Billericay, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering India with holiday money

As you can see, a variety of differing opinions. I had read other threads on the subject but wondered if we could enter India from Nepal with unused Rupees so could get round the restriction that way. As there's no definitive answer I guess I'll play it safe and buy on arrival at Delhi airport although I'm bound to have some unused money when I leave Nepal. Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering India with holiday money

You should have all the indian currency in maximum Rs.100/- denominations.

deepak

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering India with holiday money

The OP is going to Nepal first from the UK and then into India. The way I am reading it is that he/she intends to buy Indian Rupees from the UK, take them to Nepal and any unused ones then take to India. If I am correct then surely he/she cannot do this as Sanjiv has said. As foreigners we cannot take out or bring in Rupees regardless of the fact that we may be entering India ultimately from Nepal. But I stand to be corrected:)))

Edited: 27 August 2013, 14:38
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering India with holiday money

igirl is correct. If the OP is travelling to Nepal first, then they cannot take in INR there legally. They will have to change UK Pounds into Nepalese Rupees and change them back to INR or UK Pounds before entering India.

Sanjiv, correct about the Rs 500 and 1000 notes but its the Nepalese Govt who dont want shopkeepers to accept them. Then again, you will find that in practical life, you won't have a problem. I was in Bhutan last year, the same restrictions apply there too, but I paid with 500 and 1000 Rupee notes everywhere, never had a problem.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 16:10
UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entering India with holiday money

How the rich live; 500 and 1000 rupee notes!!! Lol!

Billericay, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entering India with holiday money

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It seems a bit complicated - at least in theory - although I imagine that someone who regularly travels to India knows ways around to rules. As it's my first time I'll follow the rules and will perhaps pick up some tips for the next time. Thanks again to everyone.