We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Clothing

Sherwood park
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate Clothing

I will be traveling to India this October and want to be sure to pack the right things. What is considered appropriate clothing for women tourists to wear. Would sport style tank tops be ok or should a top always have something for a sleeve? Im not much of a skirt or dress wearer so are Capri length pants or long shorts ok? I know I will need a scarf to cover my head at times. Suggestions? Advice?

Grand Mumbai Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Agra Day Tour Packages
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Rajasthan Four Wheel Drive Pvt. Ltd.
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Multi-day Tours
Discover India by Car
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Agra, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Clothing

Dear,

You travelling to India in month of October, which is the best time to travel to India, and also depend to which part you are travelling ..........as about the clothing for women tourist in India...........there is no problem you can wear anything what you want like short skirts, sports style dress ......there is no dress code in India for tourist..........but only if you go visit Temples and Mosques, then there you have to cover up your body or head......thats it.

Regards

Krishan

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Clothing

i suggest you to select cloths that cover you as much as possible to avoid unnecessary attentions.

you may also go through the following thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304556-i6778-k172…

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Clothing

I wouldn't wear strappy or halter neck tops, or anything that shows any cleavage, or short skirts. The first time I went to Mumbai I wore a halter neck dress, and a complete stranger came up to me and said "cover your shoulders madam" Wore a pashmina after that.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Clothing

We were also there in October and I bought a couple of cheap Salwar Kameez's and have to say they were ideal for the climate and visiting temples etc.

Sherwood park
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate Clothing

thank you for all replies. It helps reafirm my thoughts about exercising modesty.

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate Clothing

Have a nice journey :)

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate Clothing

If you can wear indian dresss Salwar kamiz or Kurta on top of Jean or pant it will be great. Otherwise go for round neck tops and long capris that goes below knees.

deepak

8. Re: Appropriate Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 14:20
9. Re: Appropriate Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 07:20