We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

Kent UK
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

Hi,

I am planning my trip to India for February 2014 and have decided I want to hire a car and driver while we are there. I have trawled through so much information, trying to find somewhere/someone reputable with good rates, but just when I think I have, I read posts about drivers posing as customers when posting reviews on here. So I am just going round in circles.

I just wondered whether anyone can offer any good advice on how I can find a reasonable, reputable driver?

Many thanks

1. Re: Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 19:35
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

Hi shelbel20,

You are very smart to be wary...there is good reason to be. There are MANY fake reviews on these forums written by the tour operators or drivers themselves, so shifting through the information and trying to figure out who is real and not real can be quite the task!

It's not the perfect way, but one way you can possibly figure out the reliability of a post is to look at the number of posts that the person has posted at Trip Advisor before....now I'm not saying everyone with 1 or 2 posts is a fake, but this is often the case with someone who takes out multiple ID's. Furthermore, look at their posting history...is the driver or company they recommend the only thing they write about? or do they post about other topics and write in other forums? this all speaks to their credibility.

Using the search box and reading the reviews of the companys and drivers is the best way to get the initial feel for things. That is what I did when I started my search. Several companies names keep coming up all the time, so I focused on them and read mostly their reviews. Then I PM'd (personal messaged) a few other posters and asked about their experiences....and that narrrowed it down even more because some of them didn't answer from a certain company (not a good sign!), while others were glowing recommendations. Finally, my tour operator gave me some reference names to email, which I did and that sealed the deal for me. I'm just returning on my 3rd trip to India now with my tour operator. He arranges my car & drivers, hotels, trains, everything. If i have a hotel preference, I just give it to him and he handles all the details and gets me a better price than I could get. The company I used is called Icon India Tours (http://www.iconindiatours.com/index/) and the owner Sabu is very friendly, responsible and trustworthy.

hope that helps you, Jo

Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

We just finished a 3-day visit to Jaipur and had a great driver/guide. His name is JP (Jai Prakdash). We saw reviews posted on him in a few TA forums, so we contacted him at the last minute and were extremely pleased with the tour he arranged for us. We liked him so much, we decided to cancel our train reservations from Jaipur to Agra and have him drive us there too and give us a tour of Agra and the Taj Mahal -- excellent trip too! JP has 10 years experience as a driver, including 6 with the Taj Hotel group where he was awarded best driver of the year. It shows in his driving -- he was the best driver we had in 3 weeks in India. He has a good car with seat belts and he speaks good English. He is very intuitive and willingly customizes the tour to meet your needs. He regularly drives on tours all over the golden triangle and around. Note: he isn't an official licensed guide, so he can't come into the various monuments, but he offers you a choice of either a licensed guide or audio tour for each site. We did both of these and also toured a few sites by ourselves. +91 9460146492 or jp.jpr@rediffmail.com

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

Well said salsajo,

These self promotors regulary bump the posts to top of forum.now people know the reality and they still continue their practise.

I wonder if they spend atleast half the effort they spend here for self promotion for giving good service to customers,they would really gets genuine feed back from satisfied customers.if we pm to these short forum posters,the chance of getting back a reply is very low.these accounts were made for just a post submission and they never open it again.

Now the situation changed a little.since they understand no body cares for one time posters,they regularly copy paste their stuff and post in other similar threads praising same person(there are atleast 10 thread of a same guy ,lol) .

Travellers should be little vigilent about this.i am sure soon after i post this,a sweet review will be coming in top of my post.i have seen it many times in another similar thread.

5. Re: Hiring a car and driver for golden triangle trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:19