We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

hi. this might seem like a very broad question. i am originally indian and have been living in australia since i was a kid. I want to go back to my roots, and was planing on going to india for a few months and spending part of my time there[ approx 3 months] or less spending time to volunteer in various places. the thing is, i know there are thousands of projects and different companies,

BUT

is there 1 specific company or organisation/NGO that let's me mix helping people with the travel. i would love to do something that will allow me to move to a Different place every couple of weeks and do anything from helping out in a hospital [ i am a radiography student], to building houses, teaching and helping feed the homeless. eg..various villages in rajasthan and so on.

i don't even know if something like this exist but i would love nothing more than an experience like that. Same group of people travelling around India's different states[ especially , the north, like rajasthan, deli, punjab] etc experiencing the various festivals and cultures along the way . celebrating with the locals while helping them in some way.

kind of helping nomads. haha

only serious answers please.

thanks

Dharamsala, India
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

iSpiice (Integrated Social Programs In Indian Child Education) is a humanitarian organisation supported by volunteers across the world to improve the lives of families, especially women and children in Dharamsala’s rural villages.

iSpiice volunteers are given the opportunity to combine travel to some of India's best sites (Taj Mahal, The Golden Triangle, Trekking in Himalayas and more), to their volunteer placement.

iSpiice’s holistic approach has allowed hundreds of international volunteers to make a genuine difference to locals in country villages, via sustainable community programs. From taking English classes and Computer classes to working in the slums and sponsoring children to go to school iSpiice and volunteers have provided compassion, opportunities and support to the undeveloped communities.

Given the beauty, serenity and spiritual atmosphere of the area, His Holiness the Dalai Lama holds residency in Dharamsala. iSpiice's location is peaceful, safe and comfortable - volunteers appreciate the Dharamsala location and friendly work environments.

www.ispiice.com

www.volunteeringinindia.com

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

Hope you get the desired information

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

You can teach English, arts or computers in tribal village schools run by Shri Krishna Dham in Haryana. OR http://www.pahal-ngo.org/

http://www.sosvapunjab.org/

http://www.sewabharti.co.in/

http://jagritisocialawakening.com/

If you try in this area of Punjab & Haryana, you can also participate in some of the festivals like Holi, Baisakhi, Lohri, Shivratri, Sakat etc. :)

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

I spent a month in India with iSpiice and found it a very organised and caring charity. My accommodation was excellent, l was always accompanied backwards and forwards to work (pre school, primary school and young women's business studies). All pupils were inquisitive and eager to learn. I was 64 years old and just retired and saw some fabulous sites including Norbulinka which is practically on the doorstep and McLeod Gange Tibetan temple. I wrote a blog with more detail should you want more detail margaretpillinginindia.com. Go and help, go and enjoy, go and meet some amazing people.

Paris, France
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

iSpiice (Integrated Social Programs In Indian Child Education) is awesome! I've spent a month in Dharamsala within this volunteer program. I meet nice people; I've seen wonderful landscapes; I've discovered a country full of history, religion, love to share...The volunteer organism was safe, clean, good atmosphere, friendly...I totally recommand this organism! I taught english and computer skills to women and kids. I will always remember the moments I've spent with all of them...My best adventure abroad ever! Sandra from Paris.

Exeter
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

Hi, I'm currently volunteering in Dharamsala for iSpiice. This is now my third week and I'm absolutely loving it. Having volunteered over the last couple of months for other organisations, I was very fussy and was looking for a humanitarian project which focused on improving the lives of families, especially women and children, and integrated the volunteers within the community.

The days are quite full but never dull, and are generally divided between three projects. I currently work, alongside the other volunteers and the iSpiice team, in a day care centre in the morning, and after lunch we help renovate another one: it involves doing some white-washing, drawing letters of the alphabet and generally adding colours in order to stimulate the children and get them accustomed to English words. This is really important as most government buildings for children are quite bare and in need of TLC.

The afternoon finishes with my favourite part, and possibly one I believe to be of the most important aspect of the organisation: teaching children in the slums. Without education, the lives of these children would be doomed, and iSpiice supports the children by providing exactly this, as well as sponsoring them to go to school, and by providing school kits and clothes.

The team here in iSpiice is fantastic. They work tirelessly for the community while looking after the volunteers on a daily basis, from answering patiently all of hour questions, to driving us to the various project locations, cooking us yummy meals, and even organising weekend trips to visit the area and help us make the most of our trip. The house where we set camp is really comfortable and situated at the foothill of the Himalayan range - what better place to relax in the evening and prepare for the next day?

I have noticed a lot of comments regarding the price of volunteering organisations. I have now worked for a few and this one is 100% genuine. The way they use the money is absolutely transparent and our fee covers our food, board, transport from and to the airport and any visits we choose to do. Every other penny left goes to the children in the slums, may it be for school equipment, food, clothes, vaccinations and generally helps with implementing the community programmes set up.

I recommend iSpiice with all my heart, you will have a heart-warming human experience and built some friendships that will last you a lifetime.. as well as help improve people's lives.

Dharamsala, India
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

You can know more about iSpiice Volunteer Programs here http://www.volunteerindiaispiice.com

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

I volunteered at iSpiice in Nov. 2014, and had a great time. I highly recommend staying with them. I was a little apprehensive at first due to the lack of reviews online, but decided to give it a try anyway - and I am very glad that I did. I was going to backpack India for about 5 weeks, and thought it would be good to get involved a little bit (more than simply staying in hotels and seeing tourist sights). iSpiice provided an excellent way for me to start my journey, get acclimatized to India, and give something back. They also made it easy by picking me up from the Delhi airport at midnight (when my flight arrived) and organizing hotel transport etc. Was very nice to not have to worry about organizing all that when I first arrived (I would have my fill of that backpacking on my own afterwards).

Arriving in Dharamsala (Sidwari, more specifically) after a 12 hour bus ride was great. Made instant friends with the other volunteers, as well as Vineet Ravi and Varun (who run the organization). The house we stayed at was very comfortable, food was great (mostly cooked by Ravi). I hit the ground running, going to the slums to teach on the first day. The children were awesome - eager to learn and quite attentive. Even in my short time there I certainly felt like I had some sort of impact on them, however small. Of course you are not going to change their lives in a few weeks, but having volunteer after volunteer over time very well may. I also participated at the morning daycare program, where the children are very young and cute. Mostly teaching ABC's, numbers, colours, etc. This was also an experience I will never forget!

All in all I have only great things to say about this organization. It is quite small, but very well organized, and providing a great service to the community as well as travellers like me looking for an experience. If anyone considering volunteering here has any questions I would be happy to answer.

Justin

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Munnar, Odisha
Level Contributor
868 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

All the post regarding iSpiice is of people having only 1 post and 1 review..It's look like just to promote iSpiice..people are creating TA profile and advertising.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Volunteer and travel in India on various projects???

Hi,

I volunteered with Volunteering Solutions in Delhi-India for street children project in 2014. And my experience with this organization is fully satisfactory. So you can consider it as well.