We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria medications

West Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria medications

We will be traveling in India from mid January through the middle of February, specifically in: Delhi, Veranassi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodphur, Udaipur and Kerala. Some of the sites I have researched say there is no malaria in these areas, others say no matter where you travel in India you must take meds prophylactically.

So confusing! I'd hate to be on these meds for weeks at a time if they are not needed. Of course we will follow all precautions using DEET and long sleeved clothing.

Any travelers having gone to these locations? Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria medications

I gotta say - be cautious. We went in 2011 and used Malarone ... you only start a day or two before travel and we had no side effects (though some people have reported some).

I was in India in 2007 and got a blister, which got infected ... and spent 13 weeks in hospital when I got home - don't underestimate India.

Would I go back - like a shot! I love India!

West Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria medications

Thanks! So sorry you had such an awful incident, was that from a bug bite?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria medications

Nope, just a blister on my big toe!

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria medications

Malaria is a endemic in certain part of India. It will be better if you carry anti mosquito cream with you. that will be better for your stay.

5. Re: Malaria medications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:18