We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

Hi,

Has anyone taken part in/ have any advice on the Volunteering With India Elephant Conservation Programme in Jaipur? I am planning to travel to India alone and would love to take part in this project, ideally i'd also meet other volunteers but I am unsure how many volunteers go on one project at a time. I've had a look at other programmes but they're all quite expensive and i'd preferably work with elephants on in an animal conservation - does anyone have any advice on other companies which run projects like this which aren't really expensive?!

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

I suggest you, when you are in Jaipur, visit Hathhi Gaon (elephants village) @ Amber. these is a baby more then five years old under

teaching classes hopefully you have good time these houses and not too expensive.

thanks

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

Good Advice Rakesh ji,

This will be the best place for it.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

Wonderful Project; Must Do it! I have been there and spend 2 weeks with them. This project is wonderful for elephant lovers as you can spend time with them and taking caring of beatiful elephants. I have been volunteer in south India and Delhi but compare to other organization VWI program fees is lesser and they give you all the facilities; with there is no hidden costs. I have live with Indian Host family with 8 volunteers. On weekends the organization offer the sightseeing tours. Jaipur is good place to volunteer and live. Elephant project location is just out of the city and the other organizations which i have googles not offering transportation services + they charge extra for transportation to project site. VWI included transportation, weekend sightseeings, 3 meals per day and good support.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

May I suggest you look at volunteering with Karthick Sathyanarayan's Wildlife SOS project which is about as real as it gets? I have been following this project for the last 4 years and they are consistently doing outstanding work. This is for real. http://www.wildlifesos.org/ Please do not get taken in by programs labelled 'volunteering' which are just a convenient label masking the fact that these people are using chained and tied elephants in enclosed facilities and have no intention of ever letting those elephants roam free.

5. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 14:05

Orlando, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

I'm looking into volunteering at Wildlife SOS but a little nervous about going over alone. Do you know if it is a safe facility for a singe female? Thanks!

Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

You can check the programs on www.work-travel-learn.com because this organization has programs for elephants in Jaipur and so economic. Try and ask for some e-mails of previous volunteers as I did on animal care from the same organization. My experience was good and I am so happy after choosing it.

Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

Sorry I dont have any info about that. But I know one organization Aii Group (www.work-travel-learn.com) they also offer elephant volunteering. You can check and ask!!

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

Hello,

I don't know if anyone is still looking for information on volunteering with elephants, as this post was from a few years ago, but since it's still open, I've volunteered with elephants twice through Volunteering With India in Jaipur. It was very affordable, and provided airport pick up and drop off, as well as all meals and accommodation at a family run guest house. It even included free tours on the weekend. I traveled alone and as a female, I found it all very safe, and had no problems whatsoever. If anyone wants information, here is the program website: volunteeringwithindia.org/our-programs/volun…

Puyallup, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project

I really want to go to volunteer for elephants in India it is my dream. But I do not have much money since flight ticket it already expensive. I saw on website that there is application fee and weekly charge which is not cheap. If I want to go for 3 month I can not afford to pay so much money to the association to do free work. Are there any cheaper way ? Thanks

Reply to: Advice on Volunteering With India - Elephant Project
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted