We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
567 reviews
Save Topic
how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

i'm going in april and have to pay holiday balance in the new year and the vfsglobal website recommends you get the visa before you even book but doesn't say what's the earliest you can apply before you travel, anyone know? It also says the length of validity of the visa is at the discretion of the issuing office which seems crazy, can you find out in advance how long it's valid for?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,391 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

The Indian visa is valid from the date of issue, and its from three to six months at the discretion of the visa officer. Do not apply too early. If you are going in April, you should apply mid February. Don't worry about the notice by VFS, you will get your visa. Once again, its from the date of issue, not your travel dates.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

Most people do get a 6 month visa so don't worry too much. Read the excellent visa guide on the Goa forum, especially the bit about your job, best to just put worker, don't go into a lot of detail.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k6…

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

I'd second Pusscat's advice.

Follow the excellent instructions on the visa guide and it's unlikely that you'll have any problems at all.

Note the size of photos required.

If you have any questions along the way, ask on the Goa board, it's very busy and you'll probably have a reply within minutes.

We've always been given a 6 month visa, I've currently got 8 Indian visas in my passport which expires next year. ;0)

Edited: 08 November 2013, 07:44
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

atleast you should apply six months before

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,391 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

Arpit_Jaipur,

Please don't give out incorrect advice regarding something that you don't know about. If the OP applies six months before, the issue and expiry dates wouldn't cover the period of travel.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

Spot on - as always ;0), Brave1.

Totally incorrect advice from Arpit.

As Pusscat says, most people do get a 6 month visa.

However, there are a number of occupations (police, military and even charity/social worker) that seem to spook VFS and quite often people in these occupations are only given a 3 month visa.

If I were the OP and going for 2-3 weeks, I'd apply around the middle of Feb as advised by Brave1.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

I'm retired and never had any spooky job so that shouldn't be an issue, I hear what ppl are sayin but if I applied in February I'd have had to pay the balance of my holiday by then, and I'm wary of losing £3000 if I'm refused a visa or don't get it in time. If it's 6 months for a tourist visa surely if I'm leaving India by April 20 i'd be better off applying from 20 November??

Edited: 08 November 2013, 15:55
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

You can't guarantee 100% that you will get a 6 month visa, although most people do. I have never heard of any one, not of Pakistani descent being refused a visa. If you are British and born in Britain its almost certain you will get one. Also some visa applications have been returned because people have applied too early.

Cleobury Mortimer...
Level Contributor
431 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

We always travel early January and have always applied October to November, Like to get done early as usualy go away for xmas.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how far in advance of travel can you apply for visa?

<<surely if I'm leaving India by April 20 i'd be better off applying from 20 November??>>

Of course, it's entirely up to you when you apply and the above will work out OK if you do get a 6 month visa.

But, as Pusscat has pointed out, not everybody is given a 6 month visa.

Most people ask for - and get - a 6 month visa.

But there is no guarantee.

So, if you are given a 3 month visa it will expire before you travel and you'll have to apply for another visa to cover your travel.

From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you'll have any problems but - as I'm sure Pusscat will agree - with VFS you just never know what they're going to do.

It's your choice, really.