We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rupee Allowance Into India

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Rupee Allowance Into India

Hi,

I'm flying to India next week.

Whats the limit on how many rupees I can carry with me?

I have 35k rupees with me. I'm travelling with my wife, so if we split it its 17.5k each....is that allowed or is that asking for trouble?

Have been told there is a limit of Rupees 7000 only per passenger.

Pls advice.

Thanks.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Foreign nationals coming into India are prohibited from carrying cash in rupees into India. In May this year, a new law was implemented, where the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) of India has barred foreigners from bringing cash Indian currency to India.

Indian nationals are permitted to carry cash not exceeding Rs 7,500.

All travellers to India must declare whatever cash they might be bringing into India (any currency) if the value of the cash exceeds USD 5,000. Foreigners should also declare to customs if the total value of all foreign bills in the form of currency notes, financial instruments, travellers' cheques is equal to or exceeds USD 10,000.

The punishment if caught includes confiscation of money, prosecution and imprisonment.

See this: …indiatimes.com/2013-09-07/news/41854945_1_i…

Edited: 16 December 2013, 12:58
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

thankyou

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Hope you get the desired information by Deepa ji

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Indian High Commission in Kenya has just told me that I'm allowed Rs.7500. I guess the laws are not clear or being followed

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

if they did then you can try but the rule is rule and if you want to be out of any trouble then its better to get dollars instead. Good luck

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Well you must be an Indian national then powerstitch:)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Thank you Igirl :) :)

For those who don't believe the press, here is the link to the Indian government website of Central Board of Excise and Customs, where they clearly explain the rules. http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae1-english.htm

Click on the Guide for Travellers.

The specific rule that I have referred to above is here as part of the Guide for Travellers: see Page 10, item 7 for the specific rule about bringing rupees: cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason22may2013.pdf

Edited: 17 December 2013, 11:49
Greater Melbourne...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Thank you Deepa for your very clear clarification of this question. I have been told that it is easier/better conversion rate to convert US dollars to Rupee in India than it is to convert Australian dollars to Ruppe in India and it was suggested to convert to USD here in Australia then exchange USD to Rupee in India. But each time you convert from one currency to another you lose so this does not seem like a good idea. Any comments?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Thankyou for your precise information. I am arriving from Australia to Mumbai in April. I have a travel card and will carry some cash AUD. Should I change some of this money when I arrive in Mumbai at the airport or should I just go to my hotel?

Many Thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rupee Allowance Into India

Some other useful discussions in these forum,

tripadvisor.in/…63620073

cbec.gov.in/customs/…circ03-2015cs.pdf