We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping our driver

Connecticut
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping our driver

We will have the same driver for five days. Should we tip him daily or at the end? Also, should we tip in rupees or dollars? And finally, what is considered a good daily tip? Our driver is secured through an Indian travel agency. We are paying 27,000 rupees for a four day Golden Triangle trip, leaving from Delhi and flying elsewhere from Jaipur. Our hotels are not included in this price only the car and driver.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping our driver

10%tip is normal for 4 days... but it can go upto 20% or even more depends upon the services.. you can pay in the end of the trip in rupees or dollars will be fine ;)

new york
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping our driver

Our travel agent recommended $10 a day for the driver, to be paid at the end. We gave more when the service was excellent. Also, if the driver is also functioning as a tour guide,I'd give more.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping our driver

So you recommend tipping at the end of the cumulative journeys/ days? I wonder if the driver would be happy receiving tips daily? I booked a month long trip through India. 3nights in most places some just a night but i'm assuming its with the same driver. IE> Rajastan : 3 nights Udaipur, 1 night Jodhpur, 1 night Pushkar, 3 nights Jaipur. Then other cities, with different drivers. I think maybe a daily would be good motivation for the driver to treat me better? What are your thoughts?

new york
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping our driver

We did a very similar trip from Udaipur to Jaipur this past November and it was the same driver for that leg of the trip. (We also had local guides at various points). We tipped him at the end of the trip. We did invite him to join us for lunch (he always declined and we didn't push) and finally persuaded him to join us for dinner our last night in Jaipur. We thought he was terrific and let him know it. I suspect that he understood the tip would come at he end. It all worked great. I think this is what most tour companies recommend, so it's what they expect.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping our driver

At the end is better i guess

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping our driver

Nice thoughts by every one!! only good peoples can thought about drivers, but driver is most important role in tour part.

Have a good tour with good company of driver.

thanks and regards

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping our driver

always tip driver at the end. the typical tip for good service is minimum 1000 rupees a day. As I said, this is a minimum. The tour operator I use, has drivers that provide excellent service, they often have cold drinks, like beer, soft drinks and cold water in a cooler in the trunk, they are very well trained, very clean cars that are washed daily, well safetied and maintained etc, so the tip is usually more in the region of 1500 to 2000 INR a day.

Drivers really depend of this tip as a major part of their income and it really is a small amount for us in the over all cost of our trip.

Jo

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping our driver

I agree with above post that tipping is supposed to be done at d end of d tour....there is no hard and fast rule for tipping if services provided to u makes u feel good then u feel like tipping.

For driver Rs 500-600(10 $) per day just an idea.

Rashid Agra

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping our driver

It will be better to pay him at the end of the tour and for 4 days I guess the tip should be around 50-60 dollars

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping our driver

Hi,

I think, as long as his daily food needs are taken care of, tips at the end of the tour @ Rs. 500/- day is reasonable and adequate.