We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

Horsham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

Hiya,

My boyfriend and I are planning to visit india in the summer for 3 weeks (I realise it will be monsoon season but my partner is a teacher)

We plan to fly into New Delhi - Rajasthan - Agra - Varanasi - flight to Kerela - Goa - Mumbai then fly home.

We want to cram sight seeing in then chill out in Alleppey and Goa

Plan to do a lot of travelling by night train (any tips on how to go about booking tickets)

This will be the first time to India for the both of us any tips or hints would be appreciated

Thanks

New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

If you want train ticket booking then try on

www.irctc.co.in

but as per your interest in Indian cities , I think its too hectic in three weeks.

You will avoid either some part of India.

Delhi to Varanasi to Agra by train but Agra to Jaipur and beyond rajastan you need a reliable car/driver . Just for this part you need two weeks and rest of one week enjoy at Goa.

You can try itinerary

Delhi (2N)varanasi (2) Agra (1) jaipur (2) pushkar (1)jodhpur (1)ranakpur (1)udaipur (2)

Goa 3-5 nights. In this part you will include over night train journey too.

One thing you remember land in Delhi but fly back fm Mumbai.

Cheers

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,776 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

Yep, it's crammed all right, but that's your self-confessed goal, so you should be fine with that!

If you are flying into Delhi then -

Delhi (1 night) - overnight train to Jaisalmer (1 on train + 2 in Jaisalmer) - overnight train to Jodhpur (1 + 1) - drive to Udaipur via Ranakpur (2 nights) - overnight train or drive to Jaipur (2) - drive to Agra via Sikri or take day train (1) - overnight train to Varanasi (1 + 2) - fly to Cochin via Delhi.

bangalore
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

Deepa has given a great itenary..... train is very convenient as long as you have booked in advance...plan your exact travel dates and book exactly 2 months before that our you won't get any tickets. Always travel by an air conditioned compartment it's worth the money

Edited: 05 January 2014, 02:05
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

You can cover few places you have mentioned in given time. It depends upon how much time you want to spend at each place. Rajasthan and Kerala are the names of two states much bigger then many european countries.

For train reservation you can look at following link

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k57409…

deepak

Horsham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

Thank you so much for all your advice. We know it's a big itinerary for 3 weeks and more I look into the more I realise we may have to miss some places. I have friends who have been to India and have advised to spend only a short time in the cities and spend more time in Kerela.

Trying to look into trains.irctc say I can only book tickets with an American Express card, is that true?

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

Look at this link to know more about train reservation in India:

http://seat61.com/India.htm

deepak

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

hi

Yes irctc will accept only American Express card from foreigners. Try another website www.cleartrip.com this site also uses irctc but you will pay to cleartrip check whether they will accept other cards

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

We're in Varanasi right now and we're flying to Agra tomorrow. Before Varanasi, we were chilled out in Palolem Beach for 5 days, and thought we'd cram as much of Varanasi and Agra as we could into 3 days. We ended up back in the hotel this afternoon, sated, but exhausted having seen the Hanuman Temple, an Ashram, the funeral ghats and taken a boat ride up the river at sunrise. We hired a guide and saw so much that we wouldn't have understood without him (no matter how much reading you've done), but we had no hope of completing the tour we planned. The traffic is insane - worse than Mumbai, because the roads are so bad. Many roads have been dug up to lay sewerage lines that were supposed to have been completed a year ago, but are still untouched. The air is choked with dust, which I suppose will be mud during the monsoon. We don't regret a minute though. Well worth the effort.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

I think it is all a bit rushed but hey, why not go for it. Good luck on the train booking side of it. Nice little introduction to how difficult things can be in India - and that's before you leave home:))

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is our trip itinerary too ambitious

We're in Varanasi right now and we're flying to Agra tomorrow. Before Varanasi, we were chilled out in Palolem Beach for 5 days, and thought we'd cram as much of Varanasi and Agra as we could into 3 days. We ended up back in the hotel this afternoon, sated, but exhausted having seen the Hanuman Temple, an Ashram, the funeral ghats and taken a boat ride up the river at sunrise. We hired a guide and saw so much that we wouldn't have understood without him (no matter how much reading you've done), but we had no hope of completing the tour we planned. The traffic is insane - worse than Mumbai, because the roads are so bad. Many roads have been dug up to lay sewerage lines that were supposed to have been completed a year ago, but are still untouched. The air is choked with dust, which I suppose will be mud during the monsoon. We don't regret a minute though. Well worth the effort.

Tips:

Don't change money at the airport. You'll always get a better rate elsewhere. Don't get into an unmetered cab or tuk tuk without first agreeing a price. Don't be too hard on yourself - give yourself time to relax. Don't expect anything to happen straight away. Service is slow and at the same time can be a little over attentive in good hotels. Embrace it and be nice to people unless you're dealing with a complete scoundrel. You'll know if you are - they're not subtle. Keep well hydrated.

Enjoy your trip!