We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice: GT + Varanasi + Amritsar

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice: GT + Varanasi + Amritsar

Namaste, I need help in arranging a 10 day (somewhat rushed) first time Indian itinerary. We are flexible with the order to see what we need to see. Arriving into DEL (with a possible free JetAirways connection, we were thinking to do the following:

Varanasi

Agra

Jaipur

Amritsar

Flying out of BOM (Mumbai).

We intend to arrive in DEL on 11March 2014. Two days in VNS then by train to Agra (1 day). I am aware that TajMahal is closed on Fridays which could complicate things a bit. Further train to Jaipur to "experience" Holi. My question is whether we could squeeze Amritsar into this itinerary for a single day and whether it would be worth the extra travel time and expense for a single day visit. Our flight from BOM leaves around 06:00 on Friday 21 March 2014. Could one of you local experts give advice as to the feasibility of such a plan, and whether it makes sense to go to Amritsar first from DEL then on to Jaipur for Holi and whether there would be enough time to visit Agra and Varanasi (2 must sees) before going to BOM for the flight out? We want to travel by train as much as possible but could manage a flight or 2 within India on a low cost carrier (SpiceJet or JetConnect/JetAir). I thank you all for any advice you can give to us first-timers to India.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice: GT + Varanasi + Amritsar

Given the flight and train connections, you can do something like this:

Tue Mar 11 - Arrive Delhi, transfer to hotel. Overnight Delhi

Wed Mar 12 - Fly to Varanasi; visit the temples and evening Ganga arati. Overnight Varanasi

Thu Mar 13 - Dawn boat ride and Old city walk. Visit Sarnath. Overnight Varanasi

Fri Mar 14 - Fly to Delhi, drive to Agra. Sunset view of the Taj from the other side of river. Overnight Agra

Sat Mar 15 - Visit the Taj Mahal at sunrise, drive to Jaipur via Fatehpur Sikri. Overnight Agra

Sun Mar 16 - Sightseeing and Elephant Festival. Overnight Jaipur

Mon Mar 17 - Holi Festival. Overnight Jaipur

Tue Mar 18 - Sightseeing and train to Delhi. Overnight Delhi

Wed Mar 19 - Delhi sightseeing and fly to Mumbai

Thu Mar 20 - Mumbai sightseeing

Fri Mar 21 - Fly out

Edited: 11 January 2014, 11:59
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice: GT + Varanasi + Amritsar

Sorry typing error Sat Mar 15 is overnight Jaipur not Agra.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice: GT + Varanasi + Amritsar

Deepa_Krishnan, I thank you for your prompt reply. Does it make sense to include Amritsar in this itinerary? Is it worthwhile for a single day, taking into account costs and extra timings? Can we reasonably skip sightseeing in Mumbai, having been to Delhi and the other cities in this itinerary. Once again, I thank you for your information.

4. Re: Itinerary Advice: GT + Varanasi + Amritsar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18