We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains!!

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
trains!!

Just a quick question, do you HAVE to follow the pinned post & register with the 2 online sites to be able to book trains? Is there any other way? Can you not just arrive at a train station and book tickets? As the online registration process seems VERY complicated! Regards

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains!!

There are computrised reservation centre in most of the railway station and many other important location in big cities.But to get confirm ticket you have to book ticket early.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains!!

How early?

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trains!!

You can book train ticket 60 days advance.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains!!

You can actually book a ticket when in india via Foreign tourist quota. If you want to book in advance then contact some travel agent to book it for you as this might seem more clear to you. or try cleartrip.com

Good luck

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains!!

Iam not sure why Indian Railways is making it so complicated (though I know that its trying to discourage Travel Agents having multiple login ids as you can only book 6 tickets per month in one login id). The Travel Agents have a different process to a Agent Login and they need to pay some amount every year for it.

Few years back I did help few TripAdivsor international members in booking train tickets but in last 2 years with Indian Govt. policies being changed and International incoming money are being monitored and further I will need to reflect them as a source of income while submitting my Tax returns so thats really a headache. I do see people getting desperate on this process but I guess you will need to go thru it with patience. Doing last moment is a risk as he Foreign Quota are normally only 2 or 3 berths and most of the local travel agents utilise them when doing for international travellers.

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains!!

I do agree with mr Ratna,there are very few seats for foreign quota and too not in every train.And getting confirm ticket in last moments is very rare.You may end with running from one agent/tout to other .Its better to do online booking or with the help of some local agents in advance.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trains!!

You can arrange a whole itinerary with an IndRail pass, with reservations made for you free of charge. It usually ends up costing a bit more than regular tickets, but not necessaruily much more and it's pretty hassle-free.

There are various agencies worldwide selling these. I only know the UK one, SD Enterprises in Wembley, http://www.indiarail.co.uk/indrail.htm - but they'll send cards overseas if you can't find an agency in your own country.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trains!!

You can also contact some local travel agent in India and they can also help you in booking your train tickets.

Australia
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trains!!

It is possible to register with IRCTC as a foreigner and not that difficult and it's worth the trouble, however IRCTC only accepts AMEX cards for bookings, no other foreign credit cards. If you don't have one you have to synchronize the IRCTC account with a Cleartrip account in order to book tickets online...

Edited: 15 January 2014, 08:11
10. Re: trains!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:20