We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Topic
How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

We have six weeks flying round trip from Delhi--mid Feb. to start of April. We've previously visited northern India for six weeks, but this will be our first trip to Nepal. I'm trying to estimate how much time to devote to each country. Unless we find Nepal absolutely fascinating, this will probably be our only trip there, whereas we plan to go to the south of India next year.

Having already visited India, I have some idea of what interests us there and the planning seems easier because of my familiarity. There are lots of places in India that I could see us visiting, but I am just uncertain about Nepal.

We are in our mid-sixties and aren't looking for hanging out or just chilling out in a place like Pokhara for days on end. Long treks are not for us. But, I think we will probably do a four day trek, and we are looking at the possibility of a three day rafting trip. We like to visit lesser known places in addition to the usual biggies, and we love just wandering and observing everyday life. We are more than fine in getting off the beaten path (that's what our trips to India mostly are), but we also like some creature comforts, so we aren't going to just stay in dumpy places. We have the budget to hire a car and driver in certain places to make transportation easier. I think we'll probably visit some places like Bandipur to get a feel for the area and to do some half day walks (other suggestions welcomed). Our last trip to India we had a disappointing visit to Corbett, so we don't really know if we want to spend the money again on a wildlife park in Nepal since I am guessing that Chitwan probably is similar in many ways to Corbett, and I think we have probably eliminated Bardia because of the time and expense and hassle involved in getting there.

So, what would you suggest for a split of our time? 50/50? Something else? I'd love to just be able to totally wing it, but I do need to get some of the logistics and transportation figured out.

Any thoughts you have, I'd love to hear them. And, if you've spent time in both countries, I like to see what you think.Thanks much.

Since I believe there are different people following the India and Nepal forums, I am going to post this both places.

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Bandipur
Bandipur
Chamarajanagar District, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

Namaste!

India : Nepal = 4 weeks : 2 weeks :)

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 13:45
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

Thanks both. After doing a lot of research on Nepal, I was stating to get a gut level feeling that perhaps two weeks would be max for people who don't plan to spend extensive amounts of time trekking.

Mentioned in this post
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

Yes if you don't want to do trekking in Nepal then 2 weeks will be more than enough time

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: How to split six weeks between India and Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:31