We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

I am arriving at Delhi this June for a 20 day meditation in Mc Lead Ganj. I am planning to spend 10 more days visiting Agra and Varanassi. Am I being realistic?? I am traveling by myself on a budget. Need some tips and advice.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

Well, you need 2 days (1 night) to visit Agra from Delhi, so that is easy.

There is an overnight train from Agra to Varanasi, so you can do soemthing like this:

Day 1 - Train Delhi to Agra, see Agra Fort, Sunset view of Taj

Day 2 - Visit Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri, overnight train to Varanasi

Day 3 - Arrive Varanasi. Evening Ganga Arati

Day 4 - Dawn boat ride and sightseeing of main temples

Day 5 - Visit Sarnath and overnight train to Delhi

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

Deepa Krishnan has correctly suggested, after your programe in McLeodganj, you can also visit Buddhist monuments at Sarnath and then continue your journey to major Buddhist pilgrimage site of Bodh Gaya. Instead of returning to Delhi, you can also fly out of Kolkata. It is possible to complete the Buddhist circuit in 10days.

Delhi 2N> Agra 1N> Varanasi 2N> Sarnath 1N> Bodhgaya 3N> Rajgir> Nalanda> Kolkata

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

As you have 10 day so you can visit the following places.

Delhi - Jaipur - Agra - Orccha - Khajuraho - Varanasi

It is the best route to cover.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

I think with your time frame you could easily fit in a couple of days in Varanasi, stay on the river as it's a unique experience.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

Add khajuraho also in your plan. As you are coming for meditation. Here you will learn about Tantra.

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

Thank you so much!!!

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

Hi

In ten days you will done easily golden triangle with Varanasi.

But it's hottest month in this part specially you visit dharmsala region so careful with weather.

Cheers

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

Thanks again guys!! you might want to keep advising:

Rakesh, What kind of care shoud I take with the weather in Dharmsala?

Deepa, What if I visit some places on my way to Dharmsala, What do you recommend?

Bornav, Can I travel straight from Dharmsala to Veranassi or that region?

Chrella, Are there safe hotels by the river in Varanassi?

As I said before I am traveling by myself, tips...

AGAIN THANKS!!!

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

No Nidia, there's no direct connectivity from Dharamshala/McLeodganj to Varanasi (they're also far apart). You have to travel via Delhi.

You have to be careful with the weather, it's pleasant in the Dhauladhar moutains of Dharamshala (20'c) and it'd be extremely hot in the plains of Delhi/Varanasi (40'c+), a drastic change of temperature can make travelers fall ill.

10. Re: Delhi, Agra, Varanassi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16