We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to N. India

Cork
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to N. India

Hi all, my family and I are considering a trip to India late Oct/early Nov. We would like to go for three weeks and to see some sights aroud Delhi, Rajasthan, Kolkata. Four or five days at the en of the trip by the sea would be nice. Can anyone advise me regarding budgeting for this trip? I would like to know how much approximately it takes for 2 adults and 2 kids (12 and 14) to be in India (covering decent accommodation, food, transport, entry to sights and a guide here and there when necessary. Maybe a tricky question but an approx. figure would help me to plan. I figure going with a travel company is going to be outside the budget and plan to book everything in advance as much as I can. Is this doable and a good idea? Any and all suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to N. India

If you go for a three star place, room rent would be around Rs.3000/- per day for a decent accommodation.

if break fast is included in room tariff, per head average food expenses at a three star place would be around Rs. 300/-. Travel between Delhi-Rajasthan-Delhi-Kolkata in a 2 tier a/c train would amount to about Rs. 6000/- per head. Besides this if you consider local sight seeing trips, miscellaneous expenditure I feel that total estimated expenditure would be around Rs.130,000/- for 4 persons. - i.e about $ 2200/-

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to N. India

You can save quite a bit by making your own itinerary and bookings. Trip advisor would be of great help to you in this regard. But will have to do little homework.

Cork
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to N. India

Thanks Jacpaul 1 for your message. Based on what you have said, your second message is the most pertinent one for me! Yes, I will have to do some work to make the trip affordable. Anyway, I don't like to always be a tourist, just to be there and see is good. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Kind regards.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to N. India

Hi,

For the first part of your trip, you can visit the Golden Triangle (Delhi - Agra -Jaipur), take a train/flight to Kolkatta, and lastly to Goa or Kerala. This would make three weeks and you will be able to see some of the most beautiful sights.

Regarding budgeting, as mentioned above, three star category would be good option,also you can try some Heritage hotel while in Jaipur. And as October November is the season time, the rates would be higher,better to plan and book your hotels in advance.

Thanks

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to N. India

Liz, first you will have to decide on the places . The best beaches are in Goa and Kerala, mentioned by Jai-drive. But, that will be off the track you mentioned first, I mean Delhi, Rajasthan and Kolkata. Kerala is down south of India. If you want to stick on to the three places you mentioned first, you can visit Digha beach, Kolkata which is not as good as Goa or Kerala. Trip advisor would be immensely helpful in sorting out all your concerns. So, start working. All the best.

Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to N. India

About 100 USD per day should be enough (it's possible even a little less). I don't agree with booking hotels ahead, as they will charge more and also you don't know what the place is like. Oct/early Nov will not be that busy. You get a better deal, if you turn up a hotel/guesthouse have a look a the rooms and bargain, particularly if you are staying more than 1 night. Unless I know the hotel we never book ahead, not even over Christmas/New Year when

it's very busy. There are loads of hotels/guesthouses everywhere...

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to N. India

Hi Liz,

Start your trip in Delhi-Agra-Jaipur circuit, then explore rest of Rajasthan in October. Then fly from Jaipur to Kolkata (Calcutta) and finally spend few days by seaside at Puri (in Odisha) in the eastern coast.

It's better to visit north India in October and then eastern part in November, it'd be festive season (Durga Puja and Diwali) in Oct-Nov, so please book your tickets in advance.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to N. India

I agree that if you don’t do the bookings in advance you can see the rooms, do bit bargaining and then decide. You might get it cheaper also, but not necessarily always. Besides, there is no guarantee too, as November is the beginning of tourist season in Rajasthan and Delhi.

When you are travelling with family and kids, I prefer to have the bookings confirmed. Then you can straightway check-in, because often you will be tired after the travel. It’s not advisable to shop around for hotels at that time. I agree with zauberberg if I travel alone.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to N. India

It will be better to contact some local travel agent for the hassle free tour.

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar
Level Contributor
13,166 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip to N. India

Namaste

I dont agree that october is off peak season in North india.For domestic tourist deshehra/navratri is the begining of season as there are lots of holiday specially in north india.This time deshehra/navratri is in 1st week of october means lots of domestic tourist evert where ,so i dont think its wise to book hotel on spot specially when you are with family.You can plan your holiday by doing some home work.If you are planning for kolkata then i think you should start you journey from it,during deshehra if you are intrestex in culture.Then you can move towards golden triangle,after doing it you proceed towards goa or kerala for some relax beach holiday.Beaches in west coast are far better than east cost.Orissa can be visited but primaly for konark temple.

Thanx