We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk-Tuk Licence

1 post
Save Topic
Tuk-Tuk Licence

Hi, I am a 17 year old planning to travel from the UK to Mumbai this summer. When I arrive I am planning on hiring a Tuk-Tuk (auto rickshaw) for a few weeks.

Does anyone know what licence I will need and will I be able to take tests in the UK before I arrive?

Thank you, Eddy

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuk-Tuk Licence

Autorickshaw is mode of public transport, usually not for self-driven hire.

Getting a licence approved by the government department would be a long process.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuk-Tuk Licence

You are just 17 years old, not entitled to get any driving licence. It would be better to hire tuk tuk with driver.

India
Level Contributor
233 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuk-Tuk Licence

@ Eddy

1) In India, it is called auto rickshaw - not tuk tuk ... just mentioning this since if you call it tuk tuk here, people will laugh at you :) (Tuk tuks exist exclusively in Thailand)

2) You would need to hire it WITH the driver - you cannot drive it. They do not hire these out!

3) Once you hire it with the driver - you could once in a while request the driver if he will allow you to ride a short distance.

4) Driving vehicles in India for foreigners is not a good idea - simply because of the simple rules on Indian roads (Just one rule - there are no rules :)

Manali, India
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuk-Tuk Licence

Hi,

There no hiring system of Tuk-Tuk in India. You can either hire a taxi or a motor bike, but for these you need a driving license, which is not given to people below 18 yrs. You can anytime use the tuk-tuk service with a driver. You pay him to take wherever you want to.

Nottinghamshire...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuk-Tuk Licence

Hi Eddie,

I am looking to do the same thing in 2015 and this is my greatest hope, still waiting on a reply. Good luck!

www.rickshawchallenge.com/services/rental/

6. Re: Tuk-Tuk Licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 07:15