We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip

slc
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip

We are planning our 15-16 days trip in November-December of this year. I have few places on my wish list that I would like to visit and need your suggestions. I am thinking to hire driver and to fly, if possible between places to save time. This is my second trip to India and the first for my husband.

We wish to visit: Amritsar, Agra, Varanasi, Khajuraho, Jaipur, Udaipur and Delhi for 1 day. We are arriving and leaving from Mumbai. We are looking for cultural experiences, off the beaten path farms, villages , tribes, less touristic places, wouldn't mind spend night at local village or temple. Any recommendations on possible itinerary are welcome. Open for any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip

All of your preferred destinations are in the North. I suggest that you arrive at / depart from Delhi instead of Mumbai. In fact use Delhi as a base for your travels. This would mean that you eliminate Mumbai from your itinerary.

Hire a car in Delhi to travel to Agra, Jaipur and Udaipur. This link will give you an idea of the rates. This is a Delhi state government company so the rates would be competitive and can be used as a benchmark.

delhitourism.gov.in/delhitourism/pdf/transpo…

From Delhi, travel to and from Amritsar by flight.

Back in Delhi, leave for Varanasi by flight. Spend a couple of days here. Take an Air India domestic flight to Khajurahgo (via Agra). Note that this flight is available only on certain days of the week. So your program logistics need to work around this. Take an Air India flight back to Delhi, again this operates only on certain days of the week. I think that these flights to and from Khajuraho operate on Mon, Wed and Sat.

Fly back home.

Summary

Del-Agra-Jai-Udai-Del 7 to 8 days

Del-Amr-Del 2 days

Del-Var-Khaj-Del 4-5 days

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip

Mumbai - fly to Udaipur (2) - drive to Jaipur (2) - drive to Agra (1) - short express train to Jhansi/Orchha (1) - drive to Khajuraho (2) - overnight train to Varanasi (3) - overnight train to Delhi - (2) short express train to Amritsar (1) - fly to Mumbai

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip

If you can spare the time, do consider brilliant, authentic Farm Stay, in Gurdaspur, Nr Amritsar:

PUNJABIIYAT: tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g1890758-d262756…

The Other Farmstays Options Nr Amritsar: VIRASAT: tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g303884-d1372324…

GREEN ACRES HAVELI & RETREAT: tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g303884-d2046672…

cheers

Edited: 07 July 2014, 08:48
slc
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip

based on your recommendations I am thinking we should do following:

day1-Mumbai fly to Udaipur. Arrive midday, sightseeing Overnight in Udaipur

day2-Udaipur-Jaipur. 1/2 day Udaipur and late afternoon driving for a 4 hrs toward Jaipur. Overnight Shahpure Bagh or Jojawar or any other recommendation for the stop over??

day3-drive 4 hrs to Jaipur. En route visit Ajmer, The Durgah, Pushkar. Overnight in Jaipur

day4-Jaipur. Sightseeing and visit Ranthambrhore NP (optional). Overnight in Jaipur

day5-Drive 5 hrs Jaipur-Agra. On a way visit Faterhpur, Galta Sun temple, Chand Baori Steps.Visit Taj at sunset. Overnight in Agra

day6-Agra-Kharjuraho. Morning Agra sightseeing and afternoon fly to Khajuraho.

day7-Khajuraho-Varanaci. Morning Khajuraho afternoon fly to Varanaci. Night in Varanaci

day8-Varanaci

day9-Varanaci-Delhi. Delhi sightseeing. Overnight in Delhi

day10-Delhi-Amristar by express train. Overnight in Amristar

day11-Fly to Aurongabad. Overnight in Aurongabad

day12-Aurongabad-Mumbay .

Or

day6 instead of flying from Agra to Khajuraho, take an train to Jhansi/Orchha and Overnight in Orchha.

day7-drive from Orchha to Khajuraho 3 hrs

Please let me know what do you think? Is it too much to see and too many places to visit in 2 weeks? Should we slow down and spend 1 extra day in some relaxing place? May be to experience Ayrveda or take a yoga class or try meditation class? I am afraid we will visit too many temples and would not remember any of them after all. I would love to add some cultural aspects to out itinerary.

We need your opinion and advise. Thanks

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip

Hi,

This will be too much, quite hectic and may be very hard to get proper connection in specific time frame. In my view you should plan as below :

Day 01 Fly to Amritsar ( Morning Spicejet flight ) - Visit Border ceremony Amritsar

Day 02 Half day visit Amritsar, evening Shatabadi to Delhi. Night stay in Delhi.

Day 03 Delhi - Visit , late evening overnight train to Varanasi

Day 04 Morning arrive Varanasi - Visit Varanasi.

Day 05 Visit Varanasi , afternoon flight to Khajuraho

Day 06 Visit Khajuraho, take 18-20 Train to Agra , night stay in Agra.

Day 07 Agra - Visit, night stay at Agra ( As train will arrive very early this morning so need relax.

Day 08 Agra - Fatehpur Sikri- Bharatpur-Jaipur ( By Car )

Day 09 Visit Jaipur

Day 10 Jaipur -Ajmer-Pushkar- Chittorgarh - Udaipur ( By Car ) - Its long so the day will be over...

Day 11 Visit Udaipur

Day 12 Udaipur- Mumbai ( Fly )

If plan to visit Aurangabad , allocate 02 more days , 01 day for Ellora & City Tour and another day for Ajanta caves.

Delhi , a few monuments are closed on Monday, Taj Mahal , Agra on Friday , Check - out Ajanta & Ellora caves closing day before making any plan.

It would be better to plan with any reliable and good travel agent instead of planning yourself, it could be tough to manage yourself.

Hope the above will help you.

Hari Mangal

agra
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip

I think your itinerary is perfect

I appreciate it

Cheers

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip

Dear visitors

Your itinerary looking great but it's true you have less time in hand so little hectic. You can do now Mumbai-udaipur - to jojawar via ranakpur jain temple to jaipur via Ajmer and pushkar to agra via fatehpur sikri and abhaneri step well to Delhi.

Delhi to amritsar and back.

Delhi to varanasi and fly to Mumbai.

If you interested in khajuraho then varanasi to khajuraho by flight and khajuraho to Delhi.

I think you can visit now more rajasthan like Udaipur - ranakpur - jojawar-Salawas village-jodhpur and Bishnoi villages around. osiyan for camel camp.

There is too many cultural and historical sites in rajasthan if you interested. Now you can concentrate on rajasthan as per you have time in hand. otherwise you travel a lot and it's make more hectic time for you.

Thanks

slc
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip

We still are trying to settle on places to visit in India. I think in my itinerary I planned too many traditional tourist sites and I’ll miss the real magic of India.

I know the places we really want to visit: Amritsar, Agra, Varanasi and Khajuraho. And now I need your advice on other places, not to popular and full of tourist, but unique and out of the beaten track. I want to visit tribal people and festivals that take place off the tourist map as well as historical sites. Any recommendations are welcome.

I don’t have exact day, but most likely we will arrive to Mumbai on November 28th for the duration of 2.5 weeks.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip

Famous tribal areas , Banni Villages & real tuff life of the peoples of tribal areas, if you wish to see then you should add a few places of Gujrat in your tour. Other tribal areas are quite far and hard to cover in so limited time.

Suggested plan :

Day 01 Arrive Mumbai

Day 02 Visit Mumbai , take late evening overnight train to Ahmedabad

Day 03 Arrive Ahmedabad in Morning , proceed to Dasada ( approx 03 Hours drive)

Day 04 Visit Little Rann of Kutch to see various migratory birds and wild . In the afternoon visit Rawari and Bhairwad tribal villages around Dasada.

Day 05 Dasada- Bhuj ( Approx 05 -06 hours drive)

After lunch visit Collector's office for Permit to visit Tribal areas . Later proceed to visit Bhujedi villages and market.

Day 06 Bhuj

Visit various villages to see different tribes like Rabari, Jat, Garasia, Muthawa, Merwar etc. engaged in different textile handicrafts such as Leather embroidery, mirror work, Rogan painting on fabric, shawl weaving, vegetable dye printing etc.

Day 07 Bhuj - Ahmedabad ( A Long drive)

Day 08 Ahmedabad - Delhi ( By Flight ) - Visit Ahmedabad , evening fly to Delhi

Day 09 Visit Delhi

Day 10 Delhi - Amritsar ( Flight / Train )

Day 11 Amritsar - Delhi ( Flight ) Later - Delhi - Agra by car

Day 12 Agra - Visit , Evening train to Khajuraho

Day 13 visit Khajuraho

Day 14 Khajuraho - Varanasi ( Flight )

Day 15 Varanasi

Day 16 Varanasi - Delhi / Mumbai

Hope the above will help you in planning your trip.

Hari Mangal

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip

Dear Guest

Greetings!!!

Please find suggested itinerary as below.

Day1: Arrive Mumbai

Day2: Mumbai– Udaipur (By Flight)

Day3: Udaipur

Day4: Udaipur – Jodhpur (By Drive 240 Kms / 4-5 Hrs.)

Day5: Jodhpur

Day6: Jodhpur – Jaipur (By Drive 260 Kms / 5-6 Hrs.)

Day7: Jaipur

Day8: Jaipur – Agra via Fatehpur Sikri (By Drive 245 Kms / 4-6 Hrs.)

Day9: Agra

Day10: Agra – Jhansi - Khajuraho (By )

Day11: Delhi - Varanasi (By AI-406 at 1030 / 1125 Hrs.)

Day12: Varanasi

Day12: Varanasi – Amritsar (VNS-DEL by AI-405 at 1550 / 1720 Hrs.) & (DEL-ATQ by AI-16 at 2215 / 2330 Hrs.)

Day13: Amritsar

Day16: Amritsar – Mumbai (ATQ-DEL by S2-3798 at 0805 / 0915 Hrs.) & (DEL-BOM by S2-3923 at 1215 / 1435 Hrs.)

With Regards

delhiguide