We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any India info!!

Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Any India info!!

Four of us are travelling to India in April - Flying into Delhi and then on to Agra for just a day or two. After this we are travelling North. We want to do a trek, a nature reserve and experience what we can in the three and a half weeks we have.

We are heading North because unfortunately I suffer in high temperatures, so hopefully we can still enjoy the sights, colours and flavours.

Our friends have the Lonely Planets Guide for India, we would like to get a good, honest travel book too. Any advice on that score?!

I would really love to hear any feed back about similar routes taken or advice. Also places to go and places to avoid. Food to eat and not to eat!! Hotels, sights .....Just anything India related is good for us. Apologies for the general-ness of this message!!

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Best wishes - Lucy

Mentioned in this post
Agra
Agra
Agra District, India
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any India info!!

Hi there !

You have 2 options to target for your travel : North India(States- Himachal Pradesh, Jammu) and the East (Sikkim,Arunachal pradesh). Both these zones have excellent things to do and see.

North - Jammu/Srinagar/Kashmir, a place with lotsa traditional architecture and flora and fauna. Many routes to trek too..I see that you have 3 weeks, thus I would recommend you to plan maybe one zone this time and North may be a little more comfortable for you.

You can target to visit Shimla, Dharmsala, Manali, Leh & ladakh, Srinagar, Jammu. All these places are accessible via road. You have airports at Srinagar & Jammu. It would be better if you land at Delhi..North will be better from this checkpoint.

You do have a Lonely planet guide book- thats gr8, In India another guide book options are the 'eicher' maps, but i'll suggest you to stick to LP.

I would also suggest you to check Indian tourism website .

will try to give more info tommorow..in a hurry now...Take care

Mentioned in this post
Jammu
Jammu
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Sikkim
Sikkim
India
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Shimla
Shimla
Shimla District, India
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
841 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any India info!!

the mid to end of april gets a bit hot ( temp 30 to 35 C ) especially in delhi/agra/ jaipur. the hill stations should be OK .

so be prepared.

also stick to hot freshly cooked food, clean places and stick to bottled mineral water ( check that the seal is intact).

if you have any speciffic questions don't hesitate.

Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any India info!!

Thank you so much for your quick reply! And for your helpful advice!

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Will be in touch!!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any India info!!

Hi there Lucy

Sorry about yesterday..had to rush somewhere...Anyways, coming to your plans...Well, I guess you must have checked some websites on Indian tourism..

You'll get lot of Indian flavour if you land in Delhi..Delhi is the capital of ourt country. It has a multilingual and diversified socio-culture groups. You can do lotsa shopping here. The really crowded but 'real indian' would be the Carol bagh market, chandni chowk, lajpat nagar. One word of advice...Bargain...bargain..bargain..My advise would be that if you feel something is overpriced just request a decent looking passerby to help you. You'll find very helpful people in India but DONT TRUST ANYBODY...especially if you are a woman..Delhi sometimes can be bad...

Moving from Delhi, you can either go via road/Rail to pathankot..(To visit Himchal pradesh-Manali...) OR go straight to shimla..(Himachal Pradesh)...Or you can take a flight to Jammu/ Srinagar and checkout Kashmir..Walnuts, Saffron, Pashmina shawls, Lemon tea(traditionally called 'KAWA')

I guess with your plans you should first try and see places accross himachal pradesh and then proceed to see Kashmir and then may spend some day in places in Punjab(Amritsar, Chandigarh- beware these places may be hot in summers)

I hope this input help you to plan up something....Happy travelling !

regards

Ashwin Raman

Mentioned in this post
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Jammu
Jammu
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Saffron
Saffron
340 Reviews
Chandigarh, India
Punjab
Punjab
India
Amritsar
Amritsar
Amritsar District, India
5. Re: Any India info!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2006, 23:29
Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any India info!!

Hi again -

Thank you Ashwin for the good advice, it's always good to know places to go, although we have heard that Kashmir was a dangerous place to visit so we may avoid this area.

You mentioned about flying, what is a good, reasonable airline company for internal flights? We may prefer to travel by train (because we've heard the train travel is excellent) but its always good to have more options!

And thanks to you too DD, I'll email Aine for some tips too.

Best wishes

Lucy

Mentioned in this post
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Canton of Aargau...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any India info!!

Hi Lucy,

Let me try to give you a few more options , just in case you haven't yet finalised your tour plans. Since you are arriving in April, and would prefer to avoid the intense heat, here are two circuits that you may like to try out :-

1) New Delhi - Nainital - Binsar - Chakori - Kausani - Shitalakhet - and then back to New Delhi. There are a few trekking routes available in this circuit. This circuit should take you about 15 - 18 days.

2) Eastern India :- This is relatively less known to the foreign tourists - but there are quire a few pristine places that are still not frequented by hordes of people. You may fly directly from New Delhi to bagdogra ( approx USD 125 /-) and then travel by road or a United nations Heritage toy train upto Darjeeling. Subsequently you can move onto Kurseong ( stay in the tea gardens for a one in a lifetime experience in case you are interested in Eco Tourism) , Kalimpong, Loleygaon etc. before travelling to Sikkim and covering places like Gangtok, North Sikkim right upto the Nathula Pass in China, and West Sikkim such as Pelling and Versey.

There are excellent trekking routes from Darjeeling to Sandakphu, as well as a few in North & West Sikkim.

At the last leg of your tour, you may choose to travel another 150kms to the world famous Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary / Garumara forest etc for a date with the one horned Indian Rhino and the elephants.

You then return to Bagdogra and fly back to New Delhi. This circuit should also take you anything between 15 to 20 days based on your time schedule. Do let me know if this interests you, and I can make an itenary for you.

I have a recent posting about these areas, which you may like to go thru.

Mentioned in this post
New Delhi
New Delhi
National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
Nainital
Nainital
Nainital District, India
Binsar
Binsar
Almora District, India
Kausani
Kausani
Bageshwar District, India
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Darjeeling District, India
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Kalimpong District, India
Sikkim
Sikkim
India
Gangtok
Gangtok
East Sikkim, India
Nathula Pass
Nathula Pass
1,556 Reviews
Gangtok, India
Pelling
Pelling
West Sikkim, India
Sandakphu
Sandakphu
155 Reviews
Singalila National Park, India
Bagdogra
Bagdogra
Darjeeling District, India
jaipur,india
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any India info!!

hello lucy,

if you are coming to delhi and agra dont miss jaipur for 2 days and see the flavours of this dramatic desert town. camel rides and elephants, forts and palaces and a lake too where u can watch the birds. another 4 hr drive and u are at bharatpur bird park right in a jungle to bird watch, its quiet and lovely, away from the traffic jams...

yes it will be hot but not so bad so rethink yur schedules.

from jaipur you can take a train to varanasi and see the mighty ganges river and the temples , learn some thing about the hindu culture there from the priests and sadhus... from varanasi u can go to kolkata in a train. it will be fun travelling in indian trains ac bogeys and advanced tickets have to be booked.

never leave india until u have seen kolkata.... u will love the experience i assure u. its one of my favourite cities of the world.

and then from kolkata you head north east to do darjeeling , kalimpong and sikkim for 8 days, these will be colder and are well connected by train or plane from kolkata. a sikkim trek to northern sikkim is a best trek for u.

for more keep me posted at mu email id.

happy travelling

jajabor

shomad@sify.com

9. Re: Any India info!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 11:17