We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
253 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Hi All,

I'll be visiting in November. Will the view be worth the special ride there?

Anything else to do there beside waiting for the sunrise?

Any hotels with view, or do I need to go to the tower?

Thank you,

Roni.

(-:

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,304 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Hi 12is12

I think much depends what else you are doing in Nepal.

November is a good time to go in terms of the chances of clear weather and good views. It's post-monsoon so it's typically clear and settled.

The ride to Nagarkot does not take too long, an hour or so by bus from central KTM, less by taxi. There are, or should be, direct buses at that time of year but if not then it's a bus to Bhaktapur and changef or one to Nagarkot.

There is not much else to do while waiting for sunrise but drink tea on the hotel terrace and there are shops and possibly a cafe near the tower to buy tea. Not much else to do in Nagarkot at any time really, it's little more than hotels strung out along the ridge.

Most of the hotels have a view, some better than others no doubt. The viewing tower can be popular so might be difficult to get ot the top for sunrise itself but I don't know that for sure.

If you are going trekking you are highly likely to get better mountain views than those from Nagarkot which are distant. If the plan is to go to N before trekking then it could serve as an appetiser for th emian event but the other way round it could well be a disappointment.

scoodly

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Hi, Roni,

Glad to know that you are traveling Nepal. As far as concern about how worth is Nagarkot sunrise, I would say It's is worth giving try one night. staying one night in Nagarkot may be even more worth than just doing a day trip. Having said so the main factor is how the weather might turn out during that night as well. General speaking the weather during the month of November remains nice and clear sky. I believe you will be able to see a clear sunrise. In addition to that, you may wanna try sunset as well. Personally, I have encountered sunset even more dramatic than sunrise during the clear sky.

Nagarkot is a hill station where a lot of resorts and hotel offers a nice and clear view of the Himalaya. Apart from sunrise You may take a village sightseeing and walk around to find the different view. About 2 km east from the resort area, there is a view tower, You can explore view tower as a side trip. It would be a great idea if you be there during the sunset. However, most tourists view sunrise and sunset from the rooftop of their hotel as well.

The hotels depend on your budget If you go for a budget within the range of $ 30-40 per night Hotel View Point probably the best. The rooftop of this hotel probably the highest point in Nagarkot. Offers splendid views. The medium range Hotel could be Hotel Country VIlla ($70-80) Hotel Chautari and If you want to go a bit high-end that could be Hotel Himalaya.

I hope this helps!

Raj

Edited: 21 September 2017, 20:33
Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

If you can see the mountains, it is fantastic but it took me 3 visits before I saw the mountains, so no guarantee!!

India
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Yes Amidst teh Hialayas it is really beautiful. All the Hotels and location give clear view

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Thank you all,

espeically Raj for recommending hotels.

India
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Nagarkot can be best enjoyed during the winter time of October to April as you will have a clear view of the mighty Himalayan Peaks. However, be prepared to face extreme winter but you will have clear mornings with stunning views of the Himalayas. During the monsoon from May to September, it is unlikely to get a view of the mountains.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,304 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

Roni is going in November so a good chance of clear weather, but for others some more info about the weather:

October, especially the first half of the month is not so reliable for clear views because the monsoon can and does continue beyond September. There can be cloud and rain which will obscure the views. Spring weather has become less reliably clear over the last decade or so in my experience because of increasing haze due to pollution and high humidity and cloud and some rain seem to be increasingly common.

scoodly

8. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2017, 04:11
9. Re: Is Nagakot sunrise really worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 05:18