We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spontaneous trip to Nepal

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spontaneous trip to Nepal

I just booked a trip to Nepal and India and leave in 2 weeks. I have never been to Nepal or India. I only have 12 days. My thinking was to spend 5 or 6 days in Nepal and the rest in one area in India. I really want to trek. I am physically prepared to trek but have limited time. Can someone suggest a 4-5 day trek that is at least moderate effort? I would also love one day in Katmandu and would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks!

Mindy

6 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spontaneous trip to Nepal

You could do Poon Hill trek in 4 days. However, if you only have 5 days in Nepal, it might not work. Don't expect the flights to be on time. The few flights I caught in Nepal, 1 was cancelled and the other 2, each 3 hours late. So you end up wasting most of the day for 40 minutes flight.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spontaneous trip to Nepal

The only thing that is fixed is the 12 days for India and Nepal. I could stay an extra day in Nepal. What do you love about Poon? If I could add an extra day or so would you still suggest Poon?

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spontaneous trip to Nepal

Hi,

This might be a bit of an unusual suggestion but how about flying to Lukla and then walking to Phaplu. This would be about three days of strenuous trekking, four at a more relaxed pace and it gives you the opportunity to take a bus back to Kathmandu in case the flights get cancelled. You'll get some lovely views of rural Nepal but you will be walking away from the mountains

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spontaneous trip to Nepal

I don't know where you have gone some trekking. To me Poon hill is in some ways similar to trekking in Canadian Rockies.

On second thought, if I had 5 days, I would probably trek to Namche and back. The scenery is much better IMO. Just 15 minutes past Namche, the views of the mountains, including Mt Everest, are just amazing, assuming good weather.

Again, you should leave a day or 2 buffet for any issues with flights. The cancelled flight I referred to before, was a flight to Lukla. We had to get a helicopter at USD500 per person just one way.

Hopefully some of the regulars chime in soon. They might have other suggestions.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spontaneous trip to Nepal

Thank you both for your comments..

I didn't realize about flight delays so here is my time frame.. Please offer suggestions.

I arrive from Los Angeles to New Delhi on Nov 3. I can arrange a flight that day (since I arrive in the am) to Katmandu.

I imagine I would want to settle in Katmandu for the night and then head out on Nov 4 or 5th, so I can experience Katmandu, and then head to Pokhara or Lukla? Which would give me 4 or 5 additional nights. I need to be back in New Delhi on the 9th.

I am corresponding with Happy Treks in Nepal .. any experience with Mr. Happy?

Am I crazy doing this so last minute?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spontaneous trip to Nepal

Hi

Given the tight time frame, I would avoid flying in and out of Lukla because of the potential for flight delays which could jeopardise your other plans.

The Poon Hill trek is the most popular short trek in Nepal and the flights between KTM and Pokhara are much more reliable or you could go overland by bus or hired car & driver.You would have time to do this though it's a little rushed - bear in mind that treks can take longer than expected for a variety of reasons included minor injury and ill health.

That said, arranging things at the last minute os possible. I on't know about Happy Treks.

scoodly

Reply to: Spontaneous trip to Nepal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted