We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makalu Base Camp Trek

Manali, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Makalu Base Camp Trek

I attempted the Makalu Base Camp Trek on 10 October 2017.

But abandoned it after 3 days of trekking as it rained continuous and heavy for three days and I was not enjoying walking in the rains.

These are my comments

1) I took a Bus from the Balaju Bus Park to Hile about 17 hours journey through bad roads . Then a Bus again from Hile to Khandbari. {Not recommended .Its best to take a Jeep}.Through extremely Bad Bad Road which took me 7 hours . Actually it is good to take a Bus from kathmandu to Itari or Dharan and then shared Jeep to Khandbari.

Flight to Tumlingtar is the Best .

I stayed with Mr. Tejnath Pokharel , very helpful person and speaks English.

2) walked to Manaybhanjang - 30 minutes walk and took a jeep to Num .Stayed with a local family .

There is now a Tea House 30 Minutes walk from Num run by Ms Kalpana Yamphu on the way to Sedua . Its a better place to stay than Num . But just one tea house.

2)In between Sedua and Tashi gaon there is one more Tea House run by Dawa Sherpa at a place Called Chakshe Danda. He also has a well equipped shop.

3) in between Tashi gaon and Khongma there is a tea shop in a place called Dhanda Kharka.

I returned back from Danda Kharka

Girish ( giribaba69@gmail.com)

4)On the way back I did not stop in Num , instead took a jeep to khandbari ,stayed there for the Night and next day took a Jeep at 6 am from khandbari to Itari about 7 hours . First 4 hours through extremely Bad road .

The Jeep drops you at the Itari Market ,from here took a tuk tuk ,about 12 minutes to the Bus Park where Buses for Kathmandu depart

From Itari took a Bus to Kathmandu at 4 pm the same day about 16 hours . Plenty of Private Buses from Itari to kathmandu.

2 replies to this topic
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makalu Base Camp Trek

Hi,

That sounds like a pretty hellish trip, I'm sorry to say. However, thank you for the report and I hope you get better weather on your next hike.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,029 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makalu Base Camp Trek

The strange thing is that it hasn't rained a single drop in Western Nepal since end September.

Reply to: Makalu Base Camp Trek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted