We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

hi

We would like to do the Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking around october next year ,, we will be staying in Pokhara and from there start the Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking,

How many days is this trekking

Witch route is the best and can you tell me the names of the village,s where we most likely will sleep ,would love to find them on my Nepal map .

How far is Pokhara from the beginning of this route ?

Tanks , Willem

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

From Pokhara to Nyapul for the start of the route is just over an hour by car / taxi, 2 hours by bus.

The chief difficulty as I see it is that Ghorepani is 2000 metres higher than Nyapul - not high enough for altitude to be a problem, but it's a long climb ! The number of days will depend on how fit you are, and whether you want to push on or to relax and enjoy rural Nepal.

Days 1. - 2 (or 1 - 3*) If you leave Pokhara promptly in the morning, travel by road to Nyapul then start trekking you'll reach Birethanti for a coffee after about 30 minutes, then head off to TIRKEDUNGHA (about 6 kilometres from Birethanti). You can either stay there overnight or, if you feel up to it, tackle the 3300 stone steps up to ULLIERI and stay there (this will make the next day, the ascent via Banthanti to GHOREPANI a less painful day !) Otherwise the climb from Tirkedungha to Ghoorepani can be done in one day, particularly if you are a bit masochistic . . .

*If you are looking for the trek to be more gentle you could add an extra day and stop overnight at both Tirkedungha and than either Ullieri or Banthanti

Day 3 (4*). From Ghorepani it's traditional to climb to the top of Poon Hill for the sunrise views. Personally I didn't bother - I don't do early mornings - and the views from the trail as you go east from Ghorepani to Tadapani are superb (and very similar to those from Poon Hill). From Ghorepane you should be able to reach TADAPANI in a comfortable day (and the sunset views from there are great.

Day 4 (*5) Tadapani to GHANDRUNG is a comfortable day.

Day 5 (*6) From Ghandrung I'd recommend descent to Syauli Bazar, and then stroll down the 'road' (it may become a road at some future date, but as there's not a road bridge at Birethanti no traffic can get onto it: it gives very gentle strolling through interesting rural landscapes). Either stay overnight in BIRETHANTI or if time permits push on push on back to Nyapul and find a taxi for the return to Pokhara

I'd recommend hiring a porter / guide: I'm not into masochism, and a good guide will provide lots of insight into the culture and customs of the area (and youy are creating employment). There are numerous trekking companies along Lakeside in Pokhara: I can't recommend any of them personally as I use a Kathmandu-based firm to organise my visits. They sort out hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara, and transfers to the airport, flight to Pokhara, hotel in Pokhara, road transport and Nepali crew. I'm sure though that you could find a good guide from a Pokhara agency - it depends how much organising you want to do yourself

Barcelona, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

There are too many agencies in Nepal. Please only accept the government registered agency only. Pokhara is the starting poinnt for the ghorepani ghandruk trekking. you can get to pokhara, 5 hours bus drive or 20 min fly from Kathmandu. the suggested itinerary is:

Day 1: Kathmandu - Pokhara

Day 2: An hour drives to Birethanti – Tikhedhunga

Day 3: Tikhedhunga - Ghorapani

Day 4: Poon Hill (3210 meters) hiking in the morning, and trek to Tadapani

Day 5: Tadapani - Ghandruk, village tour in the evening

Day 6: Ghandruk-Birethanti, and drive to Pokhara

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

Great info thanks .

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

> The chief difficulty as I see it is that Ghorepani is 2000 metres higher than >Nyapul - not high enough for altitude to be a problem, but it's a long climb !

Is it more easy ,iff possible, to do this tour the other way around to avoid the 2000 way up ?

Thx

Are in this tour nice views from rice terraces and walking along paddy fields?

Edited: 13 December 2009, 21:55
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

Yes

You can do it the other way round (but 2000 metres is still 2000 metres !). I imagine that it may be a bit easier if you do - you'd be gaining overall height slightly more slowly in that Nyapul - Ghandruk, Ghandruk - Tadapani, Tadapani - Gorepani would add up to three more evenly loaded days.

Yes, there are stretches of walking through terraces and farming villages on this route (though once you get higher it will tend to be millet rather than rice)

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

Thx again , very helpfull , and 2000m is still 2000m but going down i hope is less heavy :-)

Gongabu, Kathmandu
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

First of all thank you for your interest to trek Ghorepani.Really it is the very beautiful place and it take two days( two camps) from Nayapul. Nayapul is about two hours far from Pokhara by bus. You will go through Nanglethati, Hile Tikhedhunga,Ulleri, Banthati then Ghorepani.

You will stay at Ulleri for the first night, second night you will stay at Ghorepani. In the morning before the sunrise you will go to the Poon Hill from where you can see the very beautiful scene of Himalayas like Fish tail, Himchuli, South Annapurna and so on.

Then you will be back for there to the Tadapani and you will stay third night, then next day you will go to the Ghandruk the most beautiful place and stay forth night there and you will be back to Pokhara for the fifth night.

Thanks

Mahesh Thapaliya(mahesh.thapaliya@yahoo.com/hotmail.com)

Edited: 04 June 2010, 18:38
8. Re: Ghorepani Ghandruk Trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2010, 05:15